|Area||9.63 sq mi (25 km2)|
|- land||9.61 sq mi (25 km2)|
|- water||0.02 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||1,151.8 / sq mi (445 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Crete, Illinois|
Crete is a village in Will County, Illinois, United States. The population was 7,346 at the 2000 census. Originally named Wood's Corner, it was founded in 1836 by Vermonters Dyantha and Willard Wood.
Crete is located at (41.455910, -87.618798).
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 9.63 square miles (24.9 km2), of which 9.61 square miles (24.9 km2) (or 99.79%) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.052 km2) (or 0.21%) is water. Crete is located about 2 miles (3.2 km) west of Illinois Route 394 and within 40 miles (64 km) of downtown Chicago.
- Crete is home to Balmoral Park Racetrack
- The forest preserve along with Plum Creek (Goodenow Grove), a park with ice skating and sledding in the winter, and hiking in the summer. (Goodenow Grove does, however, have a Beecher, Illinois address.)
- Debbie Halvorson, former congresswoman who represented Illinois' 11th congressional district, lives in Crete.
- Mustapha Farrakhan, son of Louis Farrakhan, leader of Nation of Islam (mentioned in Chicago Sun-Times)
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,346 people, 2,704 households, and 2,090 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,151.8 people per square mile (444.6/km²). There were 2,807 housing units at an average density of 440.1 per square mile (169.9/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 86.46% White, 10.47% African American, 0.07% Native American, 0.75% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.93% from other races, and 1.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.63% of the population.
There were 2,704 households out of which 34.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.4% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.7% were non-families. 19.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the village the population was spread out with 24.7% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 26.8% from 25 to 44, 28.4% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 95.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.4 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $67,671, and the median income for a family was $73,987. Males had a median income of $51,191 versus $31,090 for females. The per capita income for the village was $29,671. About 0.6% of families and 1.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 0.2% of those under age 18 and 3.7% of those age 65 or over.
All public schools in Crete are managed by Crete Monee Community Unit School District 201U, which is a unit school district which combines elementary, middle, and high schools. Serving the village of Crete are:
- Crete Elementary School (pre-kindergarten through 5th grade)
- Crete Monee Sixth Grade Center (6th grade)
- Crete Monee Middle School (7th & 8th grade)
- Crete Monee High School (9th through 12th grades)
- History of Main Street, by Phyllis Monks, Mainstreet Association of Crete, Illinois. Retrieved on August 11, 2008.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Places: Illinois". 2010 Census Gazetteer Files. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.