No. -- Free Agent
|Date of birth:May 26, 1987|
|Place of birth: Asheville, North Carolina|
|High school: Asheville High (NC)|
|NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 5 / Pick: 164|
|Debuted in 2010 for the Pittsburgh Steelers|
|Roster status: Free Agent|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of Week 12, 2014
Crezdon Butler (born May 26, 1987) is an American football cornerback who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Clemson University. He was selected in the fifth round, with the 164th overall pick, in the 2010 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Butler was born in Asheville, North Carolina, and attended Asheville High School, where he led the Cougars to the 2005 divisional championship. Rated a four-star cornerback by recruiting services like Scout.com and Rivals.com, he chose to attend Clemson University over other schools such as the University of South Carolina, University of North Carolina, and Virginia Tech.
As a true freshman, Butler received playing time as a cornerback in nickel and dime packages, recording three interceptions. He was named a starter in his sophomore year, and managed to record three picks. Butler became a standout in his junior year, producing 68 tackles (three for a loss) and four interceptions, including one key interception against Nebraska in the 2009 Gator Bowl. Butler chose to return to Clemson for his senior year and earn his degree in sociology, electing to wait one more year before declaring for the NFL draft. During the course of his senior season, the fear of turning the ball over caused opponents to throw his way just 14 times in the whole season, dropping his statistical output to only one interception and 8 passes defensed. Butler finished his collegiate career with 166 tackles, two sacks, and eleven interceptions.
2010 NFL Combine
Butler was originally projected to be a late first round selection before his senior year. After his statistically lacking season, opinions as a whole dropped negatively: some sources regarded Butler as an undrafted free agent target, while others rated him as a possible fifth round target.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 0 in||191 lb||4.43 s||1.54 s||2.50 s||4.23 s||7.08 s||39.5 in||10 ft 1 in||17 reps||x|
|All values from NFL Combine |
The Pittsburgh Steelers selected Butler with their fifth round selection, 164th overall, of the 2010 NFL Draft. Butler was regarded as a long and athletic cornerback with good ball skills, albeit with a weak statistical senior season. He was signed to a three-year rookie contract, and was named to the 53-man roster.
He was waived by the Cardinals on August 31, 2012 for final roster cuts before the start of the 2012 season.
On September 1, 2012, the Washington Redskins claimed Butler off waivers. After playing in only two games, he was waived-injured on September 25 after suffering a hamstring injury in Week 2 against the Cincinnati Bengals.
Second Stint with the Arizona Cardinals
He was signed by the Buffalo Bills to their 53 man roster from Arizona's practice squad on November 7, 2012. He dressed in five games for the Bills, recording three tackles and a forced fumble against the New York Jets in Week 17. He was released on August 30, 2013.
San Diego Chargers
He was signed by the San Diego Chargers on September 17, 2013. Butler was released on August 29, 2014.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Butler signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on September 10, 2014.
- http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1772064 Scout.com profile
- https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Crezdon-Butler-36757 Rivals.com profile
- http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/192135/crezdon-butler ESPN college stats
- NFL Draft Scout Profile
- NFL Combine Profile
- Steelers Sign 5th Round Draft Pick CB Crezdon Butler
- Jones, Mike (September 1, 2012). "Redskins add CB Crezdon Butler to round out 53-man roster". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Tandler, Rich (September 1, 2012). "Redskins add their 53rd player". CSNWashington.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Tinsman, Brian (September 25, 2012). "Redskins Waive Butler, Bring Back Jones". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- Jones, Mike (September 25, 2012). "Redskins sign CB David Jones, release injured Crezdon Butler". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-09-27.
- "Cardinals re-sign OT McQuistan, release CB Butler". SFGate.