Crime Control Act of 1990
|Other short titles||
|Long title||An Act to control crime.|
|Acronyms (colloquial)||CCA, ASCA|
|Nicknames||Anabolic Steroids Control Act of 1990|
|Enacted by||the 101st United States Congress|
|Effective||November 29, 1990|
|Statutes at Large||104 Stat. 4789|
|Titles amended||18 U.S.C.: Crimes and Criminal Procedure|
|U.S.C. sections amended||18 U.S.C. § 1 et seq.|
The Crime Control Act of 1990 was a large Act of Congress that had a considerable impact on the juvenile crime control policies of the 1990s. The bill was passed by the Congress on October 27, 1990, and signed into law by President George H. W. Bush on November 29, 1990.
The Bush administration requested a comprehensive crime bill that would expand the death penalty for federal crimes, reform habeas corpus, limit plea bargaining, revise exclusionary rule, and strengthen penalties for the use of firearms in the commission of a crime. Not all of the sought-after provisions were enacted, but the act made major changes in the areas of child abuse, sexual abuse penalties, victims' rights, and the enforcement of drug laws. The enacted titles were these:
- Anabolic Steroids Control Act of 1990
- Child Protection Restoration and Penalties Enhancement Act of 1990
- Comprehensive Thrift and Bank Fraud Prosecution and Taxpayer Recovery Act of 1990
- Criminal Victims Protection Act of 1990
- Federal Debt Collection Procedures Act of 1990
- Financial Institutions Anti-Fraud Enforcement Act of 1990
- Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990
- Mandatory Detention for Offenders Convicted of Serious Crimes Act
- National Child Search Assistance Act of 1990
- National Law Enforcement Cooperation Act of 1990
- Victims of Child Abuse Act of 1990
- Victims' Rights and Restitution Act of 1990
- Shahidullah, Shahid M. (2008). Crime Policy in America: Laws, Institutions, and Programs. University Press of America. p. 75. ISBN 978-0-7618-4098-5. LCCN 2008925824.
- "Short Titles as Enacted". thomas.loc.gov. Library of Congress. 1990. Retrieved July 11, 2014.
- Shahidullah, Shahid M. (2008). Crime Policy in America: Laws, Institutions, and Programs. University Press of America. p. 14. ISBN 978-0-7618-4098-5. OCLC 243545920. Retrieved July 11, 2014.
- Bush, George (November 29, 1990). "George Bush: Statement on Signing the Crime Control Act of 1990". presidency.ucsb.edu. Gerhard Peters: The American Presidency Project. Retrieved July 11, 2014.
|This article relating to law in the United States, or its constituent jurisdictions is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|