Criminal Minds (season 9)
|Criminal Minds (season 9)|
Region 1 DVD cover art
|Country of origin||USA|
|No. of episodes||24|
|Original run||September 25, 2013– May 14, 2014|
|Home video release|
|Region 1||August 26, 2014|
|Region 4||August 26, 2014|
|List of Criminal Minds episodes|
The ninth season of Criminal Minds premiered on CBS and CTV, on September 25, 2013. The series was officially renewed for a ninth season on May 9, 2013. Season 9 will contain 24 episodes with the 200th episode being the 14th episode of the season and the finale on May 14. This new season is said to reveal more on the past of Agent Jennifer "JJ" Jareau. "We're going to use the serendipitous gift of Season 6 to explain with flashbacks what happened when she was working for the Pentagon and why she came back as a much tougher character. I've never had a chance to flex my acting muscles like this on the show!" said A. J. Cook. The season also featured the return of Paget Brewster as Emily Prentiss and Jayne Atkinson as the late Erin Strauss for the 200th episode, which aired on February 5, 2014. On May 14, 2014, it was revealed at the end of the season finale that Alex Blake (Jeanne Tripplehorn) would be leaving the show.
|Character||Portrayed by||Main cast||Recurring|
|David Rossi||Joe Mantegna||entire season||N/A|
|Derek Morgan||Shemar Moore||entire season||N/A|
|Dr. Spencer Reid||Matthew Gray Gubler||entire season||N/A|
|Jennifer "JJ" Jareau||A. J. Cook||entire season||N/A|
|Penelope Garcia||Kirsten Vangsness||entire season||N/A|
|Alex Blake||Jeanne Tripplehorn||entire season||N/A|
|Aaron "Hotch" Hotchner||Thomas Gibson||entire season||N/A|
|Emily Prentiss||Paget Brewster||special guest star||episode 14|
|Mateo "Matt" Cruz||Esai Morales||N/A||5 episodes|
|Savannah Hayes||Rochelle Aytes||N/A||3 episodes|
|Jack Hotchner||Cade Owens||N/A||2 episodes|
|Haley Hotchner||Meredith Monroe||N/A||1 episode|
|Erin Strauss||Jayne Atkinson||N/A||1 episode|
|William "Will" LaMontagne Jr.||Josh Stewart||N/A||1 episode|
|Henry LaMontagne||Mekhai Andersen||N/A||1 episode|
|Kevin Lynch||Nicholas Brendon||N/A||1 episode|
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|187||1||"The Inspiration"||Glenn Kershaw||Janine Sherman Barrois||September 25, 2013||901||11.27|
|The BAU travels to Glendale, Arizona to search for an increasingly devolving unsub, while the team speculates that Hotch is in the running to be the new BAU Section Chief following the death of Erin Strauss.|
|188||2||"The Inspired"||Larry Teng||Breen Frazier||October 2, 2013||902||11.12|
|The BAU continues their search for the deranged suspect responsible for ritualistic killings in Glendale. As they investigate, the discovery of an odd familial connection could finally lead them to make an arrest.|
|189||3||"Final Shot"||Bethany Rooney||Sharon Lee Watson||October 9, 2013||903||10.98|
|After several people are killed by a sniper in Dallas, the BAU tries to determine whether the impending anniversary of the Kennedy assassination is what is causing the unsub to kill or if there is another motive at play.|
|190||4||"To Bear Witness"||Rob Bailey||Erica Messer||October 16, 2013||904||11.06|
|As the BAU meets their new section chief, Mateo Cruz (Esai Morales), who has a previous work relationship with JJ of which the team is unaware, they are sent to Baltimore to search for an unsub who performs lobotomies on his victims.|
|191||5||"Route 66"||Doug Aarniokoski||Virgil Williams||October 23, 2013||905||11.55|
|Hotch's stab injury makes him have visions of his deceased wife, Haley (Meredith Monroe) and George Foyet (C. Thomas Howell). Meanwhile, the BAU looks for a missing teenager and investigate her estranged father as a possible suspect in her disappearance.|
|192||6||"In the Blood"||Michael Lange||Bruce Zimmerman||October 30, 2013||906||10.64|
|The BAU travels to Cedar City, Utah to search for an unsub, committing ritualistic murders, whom they believe to have an obsession with the Salem Witch Trials. Meanwhile, Garcia prepares to host a "Day of the Dead" celebration at her apartment.|
|193||7||"Gatekeeper"||Matthew Gray Gubler||Erica Messer||November 6, 2013||907||9.70|
|Rossi discovers that his favorite bar is about to close, so the team helps him to mourn the loss in a special way. Meanwhile, several victims are strangled to death in Boston and the BAU learns that the killer likes to keep trophies of his victims.|
|194||8||"The Return"||John Terlesky||Kimberly Ann Harrison||November 13, 2013||908||11.63|
|When missing teenagers in Chicago become suspects in a string of random, violent killings, the BAU is called in to help find a possible motive for the crimes. Meanwhile, Morgan has mixed feelings when he discovers that his girlfriend takes her job as seriously as he takes his.|
|195||9||"Strange Fruit"||Constantine Makris||Janine Sherman Barrois||November 20, 2013||909||12.40|
|When the water company attempts to fix a broken main at a house in Tazewell, Virginia, they discover several skeletons buried in the backyard. When the BAU interrogates the family living there, they uncover many sad secrets rooted in southern segregation from the past.|
|196||10||"The Caller"||Rob Bailey||Sharon Lee Watson||November 27, 2013||910||11.10|
|The BAU is called to St. Louis when a boy goes missing from his home, and they find similarities to a cold case which they reinvestigate, helping them eventually to apprehend the suspect.|
|197||11||"Bully"||Glenn Kershaw||Virgil Williams||December 11, 2013||911||11.19|
|When the BAU is called to Kansas City, Missouri to investigate a series of extremely violent murders, Blake must endure an awkward family reunion when her father, a retired police captain, and her brother, a detective, are needed to help solve the case.|
|198||12||"The Black Queen"||Tawnia McKiernan||Breen Frazier||January 15, 2014||912||10.35|
|When a murder investigation opens in San Jose, California, Garcia is forced to delve into her past as a hacker and reconnect with her former boyfriend to help the BAU solve the case.|
|199||13||"The Road Home"||Joe Mantegna||Bruce Zimmerman||January 22, 2014||913||10.35|
|While a man goes on a killing spree in Cleveland, Rossi goes to Los Angeles to search for his former marine Sergeant who is missing. Also, as the secret JJ has been keeping from the team may be catching up with her, something unexpected happens at the very end of the episode.|
|200||14||"200"||Larry Teng||Rick Dunkle||February 5, 2014||914||12.92|
|When JJ and Section Chief Cruz are kidnapped, the BAU delves into JJ's time at the State Department to find clues to their disappearance and uncover a secret mission that now puts their lives in danger. When the Department refuses to let the BAU to investigate further, they turn to the one person who can get the information needed: former BAU agent Emily Prentiss (Paget Brewster).|
|201||15||"Mr. and Mrs. Anderson"||Félix Alcalá||Kimberly Ann Harrison||February 19, 2014||915||10.06|
|The BAU must spend Valentine's Day conducting a rather creepy investigation when a married couple from Pittsburgh attending therapy discover that the only way to put the spark back into their marriage is to commit murder. Also, Morgan and Garcia discuss their Valentine's Day plans.|
|202||16||"Gabby"||Thomas Gibson||Jim Clemente & Erica Messer||February 26, 2014||916||9.42|
|When a mother leaves her 4-year old daughter with a relative in Hattiesburg, Mississippi and she goes missing in the middle of the night, the BAU must race against time and find this little girl. Along the way, they make many disturbing discoveries about the babysitter.|
|203||17||"Persuasion"||Rob Lieberman||Sharon Lee Watson||March 5, 2014||917||11.42|
|When mysteriously drowned bodies are discovered in the Las Vegas desert, the BAU tries to figure out the true cause and motive for the murders.|
|204||18||"Rabid"||Doug Aarniokoski||Virgil Williams||March 12, 2014||918||10.74|
|When the BAU finds bodies with both animal and human bite marks near Milwaukee, they have some difficult questions to answer. Meanwhile, Garcia and Reid must prepare for a fitness test, but try to hide the whole thing from Morgan, as he has a reputation of being a difficult personal trainer.|
|205||19||"The Edge of Winter"||Hanelle Culpepper||Janine Sherman Barrois||March 19, 2014||919||10.14|
|As the BAU wraps up an investigation of brutal stabbings in Hampton, New York, Morgan's visit with a survivor could raise more disturbing questions for the team to answer. They learn that the victim in question has suffered permanent, irreversible psychological damage due to the horrors she was forced to endure.|
|206||20||"Blood Relations"||Matthew Gray Gubler||Breen Frazier||April 2, 2014||920||10.47|
|When two people turn up dead in a violent manner in the remote, rural community of Wheeler, West Virginia the BAU are asked to investigate. They discover a deep-seeded, violent feud between the two families of the victims, and try to determine which of the two families are responsible for the murders.|
|207||21||"What Happens In Mecklinburg"||Rob Hardy||Ticona Joy||April 9, 2014||921||9.85|
|A frat party goes terribly wrong at Mecklinburg State College near Memphis, Tennessee and, as a result of a terrible, criminal act committed that night, several students are kidnapped and, subsequently, tortured. The BAU is asked to investigate these kidnappings and try to apprehend the suspect. As Morgan receives the text from Garcia, he learns that Savannah (Rochelle Aytes) is unhappy with how often he has to travel for work.|
|208||22||"Fatal"||Larry Teng||Bruce Zimmerman||April 30, 2014||922||10.30|
|Victims of arsenic poisoning are found in Long Beach, California. The investigation reveals that the killer has a fascination with Greek mythology, based on handwritten death threats to the deceased and other mysterious clues. Meanwhile, Hotch is concerned about participating in Jack's third grade career day.|
|209||23||"Angels"||Rob Bailey||Rick Dunkle & Breen Frazier & Janine Sherman Barrois||May 7, 2014||923||10.52|
|The BAU is called to assist on a case in Silverton, Texas in Briscoe County in which several prostitutes were murdered. The team eventually discover that these crimes are driven by religious ideals, and as they dig deeper into the case, their lives are put in jeopardy. Reid and Morgan were shot during a crossfire with a suspect.|
|210||24||"Demons"||Glenn Kershaw||Erica Messer||May 14, 2014||924||12.03|
|The BAU delve further into the serial murder case in Briscoe County, Texas that they have been investigating with help from Cruz, who personally comes to assist. As they do so, one team member's life is put in danger and as another team member faces a sad secret from the past, Garcia puts herself in the line of fire to try and save a fellow agent.|
- "Criminal Minds: The Ninth Season". TVshowsonDVD.com. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- Morris, Clare (July 9, 2013). "'Criminal Minds' Season 9 Begins Filming Today, July 9". The Christian Post. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 9, 2013). "'Criminal Minds' Renewed by CBS for Ninth Season (Updated)". Zap2it. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- Keck's Exclusives First Look: Criminal Minds Explores J.J.'s Gap Year - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com
- "Scoop: Criminal Minds Brings Back Paget Brewster for 200th Episode". TVLine.com. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 26, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Middle', 'Modern Family' and 'Survivor' Adjusted Up; 'Nashville' & 'CSI' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (October 3, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Revolution', 'Survivor', 'The Middle', & 'Back In The Game' Adjusted Up; 'Ironside' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'Back in the Game', 'Modern Family' and 'The Tomorrow People' Adjusted Up; 'Nashville' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- "Wednesday Final Ratings: ‘Modern Family’, ‘Law & Order:SVU’, ‘Survivor’, ‘Toy Story of TERROR!’ & ‘Back In The Game’ Adjusted Up; ‘Nashville’ & ‘Ironside’ Adjusted Down". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. 2013-08-27. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 24, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'The Middle', 'Modern Family' & 'The Tomorrow People' Adjusted Up; 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down + Final World Series Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 24, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (October 31, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Arrow' & 'The Middle' Adjusted Up; 'Super Fun Night' & 'CSI' Adjusted Down & FInal World Series Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 7, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'CSI' Adjusted Up; 'Criminal Minds' Adjusted Down + No Adjustment for 'The CMA Awards'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (November 14, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Revolution', 'Arrow', 'The Middle' & 'Survivor' Adjusted Up; 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 14, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 21, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The X Factor', 'Modern Family', 'Arrow', 'Survivor' & 'The Middle' Adjusted Up; 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (December 2, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: No Adjustment for 'The X Factor', 'Survivor' or 'CSI'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (December 12, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Middle' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 21, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 16, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'American Idol' Adjusted Up; 'Law and Order: SVU', 'The Tomorrow People' & 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (January 23, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Arrow' & 'The Middle' Adjusted Up; 'Modern Family' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (February 6, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Super Fun NIght' Adjusted Down". Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (February 20, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Criminal Minds' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 27, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'American Idol' & 'Nashville' Adjusted Up; 'Survivor', 'The Middle', 'Mixology', 'Suburgatory' & 'Criminal Minds' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (March 6, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Modern Family', 'Mixology' & 'Nashville' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 13, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Middle', 'Suburgatory' & 'Modern Family' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (March 20, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor' Adjusted Up; No Adjustment for 'The 100'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (April 3, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'The Middle', 'Suburgatory', 'Modern Family' & 'Criminal Minds' Adjusted Up; 'CSI' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 10, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Law and Order: SVU' & 'Mixology' Adjusted Up; No Adjustment for 'The 100'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 1, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'American Idol' & 'Suburgatory' Adjusted Up; 'Revolution' & 'CSI' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 8, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Middle', 'Arrow', 'American Idol', 'Modern Family', 'Law & Order: SVU' & 'Suburgatory' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 15, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Revolution', 'Arrow', 'Survivor', 'Suburgatory', 'Modern Family' & 'Law & Order: SVU' Adjusted Up; 'Chicago P.D.' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- General references
- "Shows A-Z – Criminal Minds on CBS". The Futon Critic. Retrieved July 10, 2013.