About 180 species, see text.
Crinum is a genus of about 180 species of perennial plants that have large showy flowers on leafless stems, and develop from bulbs. They are found along the sides of streams and lakes in tropical and subtropical areas worldwide, including South Africa.
Crinum leaves are basal, typically long and strap-shaped, with colors ranging from light green to green.
Several species are used in aquariums.
Cytological studies have shown some 27 species of Crinum to be diploid with a normal chromosome count of 2n = 22. Abilio Fernandes found that the Orange River Crinum bulbispermum had a count of 2n = 66, and some desert Crinum macowanii 2n = 44. These polyploid species produce seeds that are often parthenogenetic triploid or diploids, lack vigour and seldom grow to mature plants.
- Crinum americanum L. – Southern Swamplily, Seven Sisters
- Crinum asiaticum L. (= C. amabile) – Poisonbulb
- Crinum bulbispermum (Burm.f.) Milne-Redh. & Schweick. – Hardy Swamplily
- Crinum latifolium L.
- Crinum pedunculatum R.Br., syn. C. asiaticum var. pedunculatum – Swamplily, River Lily or Spider Lily
- Crinum thaianum Schulze – Onion plant
Formerly placed here
- Agapanthus africanus (L.) Hoffmanns. (as C. africanum L.)
- Ammocharis heterostyla (Bullock) Milne-Redh. & Schweick. (as C. heterostylum Bullock)
- Cyrtanthus angustifolius (L.f.) Aiton (as C. angustifolius L.f.)
- Cyrtanthus elatus (Jacq.) Traub (as C. speciosum L.f.)
- Cyrtanthus obliquus (L.f.) Aiton (as C. obliquum L.f.)
- Hippeastrum argentinum (Pax) Hunz. (as C. argentinum Pax)
- Urceolina urceolata (Ruiz & Pav.) Asch. & Graebn. (as C. urceolatum Ruiz & Pav.)
- × Amarcrinum hybridised with Amaryllis
- C. × powellii (garden hybrid between C. bulbispermum and C. moorei) - pale pink, fragrant, lily-like flowers produced in late summer
- C. × powellii 'Album' (white flowered cultivar)
Crinum ornatum, SW Burkina Faso
Crinum species in Hyderabad, India
Crinum moorei a decorative plant in Germany
- "Genus: Crinum L.". Germplasm Resources Information Network. United States Department of Agriculture. 2010-01-27. Retrieved 2011-02-08.
- "Search for Crinum", World Checklist of Selected Plant Families, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, retrieved 2014-07-07
- "GRIN Species Records of Crinum". Germplasm Resources Information Network. United States Department of Agriculture. Retrieved 2011-02-08.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Crinum × powellii". Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Crinum × powellii 'Album'". Retrieved 17 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Crinum.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Crinum|
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Crinum.|
- Pacific Bulb Society Crinum Page, includes links to photographs
- Crinums In East Texas: Notes From Marcelle Sheppard, includes links to photographs, cultural information, and hybridizing results
- The Genus Crinum
- African Crinums
- Bulb Society
- Juniper Level Botanic Garden Crinum Photo Gallery