|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
The Crip Walk, also known as the C-Walk, is a dance move that originated in the early 1970s by Crip gang members from the South Central Los Angeles area, and has since spread worldwide. The dance is primarily an act of performing quick and intricate footwork.
The rivalry between the Crips and the Bloods spilled over into the world of entertainment, with the adoption of the gang dance by various rappers on the West Coast of the United States, who gave it its name, the Crip Walk. This dance involves the movement of one's feet, classically to the spelling of C-R-I-P (refer C Walk). It was used by Crips at parties to display affiliation, particularly vis-a-vis rival gang the Bloods. It was also used after killing someone to give the kill a Crip signature. MTV declined to broadcast any music videos that contained the Crip Walk.
- In Westside Connection's video for the song "Hoo Bangin'", WC (Neighborhood 111 Crips) can be seen doing the Crip Walk.
- Snoop Dogg (of the Rollin' 20 Crips) can be seen doing the walk in the video for "Drop It Like It's Hot".
- The song "Get Your Walk On" by Xzibit heavily references the Crip Walk.
- The song "C Walk" by Kurupt.
- Eight Tray Gangster Crips gang member Damian "Football" Williams did a celebratory C-Walk after striking truck driver Reginald Denny with a concrete slab during the Rodney King riots.
- Tennis player Serena Williams caused a minor stir at the 2012 Summer Olympic tennis tournament when she did a Crip Walk immediately after defeating Maria Sharapova in the gold-medal match at Centre Court, Wimbledon.
Variations of Crip Walk
Modern day K-Walk is a dance that derives from the original C-Walk; however, it has no gang affiliation and is generally a lot more complex in terms of execution. What separates the K-Walk from the one originated by the Crips is the absence of hand signs and other gestures symbolizing gang affiliations. It was founded somewhere in 2013, by "Meebo" in the West Coast.
The Clown Walk is a variation of the Crip Walk. The dance is sometimes abbreviated as "C-walk," causing confusion as to whether people are Crip Walking, Clown Walking or Crown Walking. Clown is based on, and takes many moves from, the original Crip Walk; however, it has no gang affiliation and is generally a lot more complex. Clown Walk moves consist of basic V, Shuffle, Heeltoe, and X-hop. Dancers who utilize this particular form of dance often customize their own moves to make it unique.
The Crown Walk is a variation of the Crip Walk and the Clown Walk. The dance is sometimes abbreviated as "C-walk," causing confusion as to whether people are Crip Walking, Clown Walking or Crown Walking. Crown Walk moves consist of the same set as Clown Walk.
The Blood Bounce is an alternative dance performed by the Bloods. This variation includes a bent-knee as well as a side to side swagger.
The general difference between Crip Walk, Modern Crip Walk, Clown Walk and Crown Walk are the way moves are executed from elements such as speed, energy, flow, variations, arm control and bounce.
- American rapper CJ Mac released a documentary focused on the beginnings of Crip Walk and its rise in popularity entitled "Cwalk: It's a Way of Livin'". It features such rappers as Snoop Dogg, WC and Ice-T along with original members of the Crips.
- Erika Hayasaki (2002-06-04). "Some Principals Ban Dance With Gang Ties". Los Angeles Times.
- Jacob Thompson (2007-05-15). "how to cwalk the v move". Dance Origin.
- Richard Thomas. "2006 European Workshop on Design & Semantics of Form & Movement on October 26, 2006 in Eindhoven, the Netherlands" (PDF). Beal Institute for Strategic Creativity. p. 12.
- Michael Newton (2007). Gangsters Encyclopedia. Chrysalis Books. p. 59. ISBN 9781843404026.
- "Serena Williams SLAMMED for glamourising gang culture with Crip Walk dance after Olympic win". MailOnline. August 7, 2012. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- "C walk "ghost". Free ghost - YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "Kyren vs. Iko Crip Battle - YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "KyEatsPie *SA Snippet* - YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "[HoodElements.Com] Spook - Hate In Your Eyes - YouTube". youtube.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "C-Walk: It's a Way of Livin' (Video 2003) - IMDb". imdb.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.