Croatian parliamentary election, 2003
|Results of the election in each of the ten electoral districts of Croatia: the party with the majority of votes in each electoral unit.
HDZ: blue; SDP coalition: red
In addition, 8 candidates are elected to represent national minorities.
The citizens that live outside Croatian borders vote in a separate electoral unit. The number of representatives elected from this unit will be determined after the elections, based on how many people actually vote in Croatia, so that there is equal value of votes both inside and outside Croatia. For reference, the number of diaspora seats in the 2000-2003 Sabor was six.
Total: 140 domestic seats + 8 minority seats + 4 diaspora seats.
Distribution of minority seats:
- Serbs: 3
- Hungarians: 1
- Italians: 1
- Czechs and Slovaks: 1
- Austrians, Bulgarians, Germans, Poles, Romani, Romanians, Rusyns, Russians, Turks, Ukrainians, Vlachs and Jews: 1
- Albanians, Bosniaks, Montenegrins, Macedonians, Slovenes: 1
Parties and coalitions
- DC and HSLS, in all electoral units
- SDP and IDS, in the 8th electoral unit (the county of Istria et al.)
- HB and HIP, in all electoral units
- SDP and Libra in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 10th electoral unit
- SDP and LS, in the 4th and 6th electoral unit
- HNS and SBHS, in the 4th and 5th electoral unit (counties of Slavonia)
- HNS and PGS, in the 7th and 8th electoral unit (Northern seacoast counties)
Summary of votes and seats
|Parties and coalitions||Votes||%||Seats||%||Seat trend||Seat change (%)|
|Croatian Democratic Union (Hrvatska demokratska zajednica)||840,692||33.9||66||43.71||+13,25|
|Coalition:||Social Democratic Party (Socijaldemokratska partija Hrvatske)||560,593||22.6||34||22.52||-5,96|
|Istrian Democratic Assembly (Istarski demokratski sabor/Dieta democratica Istriana)||4||2.65||0|
|Party of Liberal Democrats (Libra - Stranka liberalnih demokrata)||3||1.99|
|Liberal Party (Liberalna stranka)||2||1.32||0|
|Coalition:||Croatian People's Party (Hrvatska narodna stranka)||198,781||8.0||10||6.62||+5.30|
|Alliance of Primorje - Gorski Kotar (Primorsko-goranski savez)||1||0.66||-0.66|
|Slavonia-Baranja Croatian Party (Slavonsko-baranjska hrvatska stranka)||-||0.00||-0.66|
|Croatian Peasant Party (Hrvatska seljačka stranka)||177,359||7.2||10||6.62||-4.64|
|Coalition:||Croatian Party of Rights (Hrvatska stranka prava)||157,987||6.4||8||5.30||+2,65|
|Zagorje Democratic Party (Zagorska demokratska stranka)||-||0.00|
|Međimurje Party (Međimurska stranka)||-||0.00|
|Coalition:||Croatian Social Liberal Party (Hrvatska socijalno liberalna stranka)||100,335||4.0||2||1.32||-15.24|
|Democratic Centre (Demokratski centar)||1||0.66|
|Croatian Pensioners' Party (Hrvatska stranka umirovljenika)||98,537||4.0||3||1.99|
|Independent Democratic Serb Party (Samostalna demokratska srpska stranka)||-||-||3||1.99|
|Coalition:||Croatian Democratic Peasants Party (Hrvatska demokratska seljačka stranka)||24,872||1.0||1||0.66|
|Croatian Democratic Centre (Hrvatski demokratski centar)||-||0.00|
|Democratic Prigorje-Zagreb Party (Demokratska prigorsko-zagrebačka stranka)||-||0.00|
|Democratic Union of Hungarians of Croatia (Demokratska zajednica Mađara Hrvatske)||-||-||1||0.66|
|German People's Union (Njemačka narodnosna zajednica)||-||-||1||0.66|
|Party of Democratic Action of Croatia (Stranka demokratske akcije Hrvatske)||-||-||1||0.66|
|Total (turnout 61.7 %)||2,478,967||151||100.00|
|Source: Croatian State Election Committee and IFES.|
The number of diaspora mandates is reduced by 2 compared to previous elections due to somewhat lower diaspora turnout. Due to distribution according to the d'Hondt method, the independent lists for diaspora won't be allocated seats, even though they received over 5% of total votes.
The new Government was formed of 13 HDZ ministers and 1 of Democratic Centre.
- Odluka o raspisivanju izbora za zastupnike u Hrvatskom saboru
- Izvješće OESS/ODIHR-ove izborne promatračke misije, Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, pdf
- "Službeni rezultati izbora za zastupnike u Hrvatski Sabor" [Official results of the election of representatives for the Croatian Parliament]. Izbori.hr. Croatian State Election Committee. 2003-12-03. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- VLADA Republike Hrvatske - kronologija. Vlada: 9 / predsjednik Vlade: Dr. sc. Ivo Sanader