|Traded as||BSE: 500093NSE: CROMPGREAV|
|Key people||Gautam Thapar, Chairman
Laurent Demortier, CEO
|Products||Transformers, pumps, HT & LT Motors, DC Motors, Railway Signaling|
|Revenue||53.5274 billion (US$870 million)|
Crompton Greaves (CG) (BSE: 500093, NSE: CROMPGREAV) is an Indian multinational company engaged in design, manufacturing, and marketing of products related to power generation, transmission, and distribution based in Mumbai. It is part of Avantha Group.
Sales offices in india
- North Region : New Delhi, Jaipur, Jalandhar, Lucknow
- East Region : Kolkata, Bhubaneshwar
- Western Region : Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Baroda, Indore, Pune, Nagpur, Raipur, Kolhapur
- southern Region : Chennai, Bangalore, Secundarabad, Kochin
Col. R. E. B. Crompton founded R.E.B. Crompton & Company in 1878. The company was merged with F.A. Parkinson in 1927 to form Crompton Parkinson Ltd. Greaves Cotton and Company, established by James Greaves in 1859, was appointed as their concessionaire in India.
In 1937, Crompton Parkinson established Crompton Parkinson Works Ltd. in Bombay as a wholly owned Indian subsidiary. In collaboration with Greaves Cotton, it also established a sales organisation, Greaves Cotton & Crompton Parkinson Ltd. In 1947, just before India's independence, Lala Karam Chand Thapar, an eminent Indian industrialist, bought Greaves Cotton when the company was put up for sale. With this acquisition, Karam Chand Thapar gained control of several associated companies such as Crompton Parkison Works, Greaves Cotton and Crompton Parkinson Company.
The name Crompton Greaves Limited was adopted on 2 August 1966, following a court-directed amalgamation of Greaves Cotton and Crompton Parkinson Ltd.
Over the years, the company has evolved into one of India's largest private sector enterprises.
After the acquisition of the Belgium-based Pauwels Trafo/Pauwels Group in May 2005, Crompton Greaves was ranked amongst the world's top ten electrical transformer manufacturers. The company subsequently acquired a host of companies outside India. These include Ganz (Hungary), Microsol (Ireland), Sonomatra (France), MSE Power Systems (USA) and ZIV (Spain).
Crompton Greaves is a part of the US$4 billion Avantha Group, and is headquartered in a self-owned landmark building CG House at Worli, Mumbai. In 2009, reflecting its global presence and diverse businesses, Crompton Greaves adopted a new brand identity and is known as CG.
Crompton Greaves made series of acquisitions overseas which included - ZIV Group for Euro 150 Mn, QEI Inc, provider of SCADA and automation systems for $30.0 Mn and Emotron Group, a power electronics and engineering company, for $82.3 Mn (57.8 Mn Euros).
In September 2012, HSBC Global Investment Funds raised its stake in Crompton Greaves from 1.29% to 2.68% through bulk deal on BSE for R927.3 million.
In March 2009, Crompton Greaves acquired 41% stake in Avantha Power & Infrastructure Limited for R2.27 billion.
Currently, Mr Gautam Thapar is the chairman of the board and Mr Laurent Demortier is the managing director and CEO of the company.
Products & Services
• Power Systems
- Transformers and Reactors
- Switchgear Products-MV/HV/EHV/UHV
- Instrument Transformers-MV/HV/EHV/UHV
- Power Quality Solutions
- T&D Systems/Engineering Solutions
- Protection Control & Automation
- Services for Power Systems
- Transformer & Switchgear Components
- LV Switches & Panel Products
• Industrial Systems
- Motors: High/Low Voltage AC&DC
- Traction Motors/Alternators/Control Electrics
- FHP/Commercial Motors
- Railway Signaling and Coach Applications
- Drives and Automation
- Stampings and Laminations
- Services for Industrial Systems
• Consumer Products
- Home Automation
- Integrated Security Systems
- Wiring Accessories
Avantha is a thriving offshoot of Thapar Group and Gautam Thapar represents the third generation of this illustrious business family, the baton having been passed on to him by his uncle, L.M. Thapar and his father, B.M. Thapar.
The new identity, Avantha, was launched worldwide on 15 November 2007.
- Received National Award for Best Research and Development Efforts in 2007.
- Received Best Product Competition Award for Dream Transformer from Elecrama 2008.
- Received Golden Peacock Innovative Product / Service Award-2007.
- Received Golden Peacock Award 08-09 for NAPOKRETE ® based Instrument Transformer – Current Transformer & Voltage Transformer.
- Received NABL Accreditation for 5 of its labs & 1 calibration lab.
- "Crompton Greaves adopts new brand identity as global power company – Money – DNA". Dnaindia.com. 19 October 2009. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- "BSE Plus". Bseindia.com. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- PTI, 30 Mar 2010, 12.19 pm IST (30 March 2010). "Crompton Greaves completes acquisition of PTS for 30 mn pounds – The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2010-12-23.