|Place of origin||France|
|Main ingredients||Profiteroles, chocolate, caramel|
A croquembouche is composed of profiteroles (choux pastry balls) piled into a cone and bound with threads of caramel. It may also be decorated with sugared almonds, chocolate, flowers, or ribbons. Sometimes it is covered in macarons or ganache.
In popular culture
On March 6, 2009 alumni of the Pune-based Maharashtra State Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology entered the Limca Book of Records after creating India's biggest croquembouche. It was recorded to be standing 15 ft (4.5 m) tall.
On 28 September 2008, season 5 episode 1 of Desperate Housewives aired with one of the main characters Bree van De Kamp having to create the perfect croquembouche with spun sugar netting.
Croquembouche was one of the spoiled desserts that Gloria serves to the WJM news team and program director in "A New Sue Ann", the Season 5 episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. In a take-off on All About Eve, Sue Ann's show is hijacked by Gloria Munson (Linda Kelsey), who prepares a segment on French pastry. Sue Ann lets Gloria make the mistake of using unrefrigerated cream.
On 20 May 2014, Season 1, Episode 5 "Remember the croquembouche" of MTV's Faking It a croquembouche is shown and discussed several times throughout the episode.
On 1 September 2014, Season 5, Episode 15 of the reality TV competition MasterChef, three out of the final six contestants baked an entire croquembouche in 90 minutes for their Pressure Test.
- Oxford English Dictionary, 3rd edition, December 2005, s.v.
- Tacey Rosolowski, "Dessert time"
- Croquembouche Delicious Magazine
- The Chefs of Le Cordon Bleu (2012). Le Cordon Bleu Pâtisserie and Baking Foundations Classic Recipes. Cengage Learning. p. 79. ISBN 978-1439057179.
- Grimod de La Reynière, Néo-physiologie du gout, p. 565
- "Catering institute alumni create record". The Times of India. 6 March 2009. Retrieved 9 February 2012.