Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge
|Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge|
|Carries||Cross Bay Boulevard|
|Locale||Broad Channel and Rockaway Peninsula, in New York City|
|Maintained by||MTA Bridges and Tunnels|
|Total length||3,000 feet (910 m)|
|Longest span||275 feet (84 m)|
|Clearance below||55 feet (17 m)|
|Opened||May 28, 1970|
|Toll||$3.75 (cash); $2.00 (New York State E-ZPass)|
|Daily traffic||21,240 (2010)|
The Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge (originally Cross Bay Bridge or Cross Bay Parkway Bridge) in New York City, is a toll bridge that carries Cross Bay Boulevard from Broad Channel in Jamaica Bay to the Rockaway Peninsula, and is located in Queens.
It was built by the New York City Parkway Authority and opened on June 3, 1939, before the authority was merged into the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority. The bridge was a part of a program to develop Jamaica Bay as a recreational area instead of an industrial port. The 1939 bridge was a low-level bascule bridge. Reconstructed and opened to traffic on May 28, 1970, the new bridge is a high level fixed bridge carrying six traffic lanes and a sidewalk on the west side. This let boats pass under without delays to lift the drawbridge.
Registered Rockaway and Broad Channel residents with E-ZPass receive toll rebates on this bridge.
- "2008 Traffic Data Report for New York State" (PDF). New York State Department of Transportation. Appendix C. Retrieved February 27, 2010.
- Santos, Fernanda (April 9, 2010). "For Whom the Bridge Toll Ends a Trip That's Free". The New York Times. Retrieved April 10, 2010. "There is another crossing on the northern end of Broad Channel, the Joseph P. Addabbo Memorial Bridge, which connects the island to the Howard Beach section of Queens"
- "Rockaway: Another Link". The New York Times. June 3, 1939. Retrieved February 25, 2010.
- Fowle, Farnsworth (May 29, 1970). "Cross Bay Parkway Bridge Is Dedicated". The New York Times. Retrieved April 10, 2010. "The six-lane, $26-million Cross Bay Bridge linking Broad Channel Island in Jamaica Bay with the Rockaway Peninsula was dedicated yesterday in time for the Memorial Day weekend rush."
Media related to Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge at Wikimedia Commons
- Cross Bay Bridge (MTA Official Site)
- Cross Bay Bridge @ NYCROADS.com
- Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge at Structurae