Cross Creek Township, Jefferson County, Ohio
|Cross Creek Township, Ohio|
Local School in Cross Creek
Municipalities and townships of Jefferson County
|• Total||32.6 sq mi (84.4 km2)|
|• Land||32.6 sq mi (84.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,145 ft (349 m)|
|• Density||268.8/sq mi (103.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086377|
Cross Creek Township is one of the fourteen townships of Jefferson County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 8,761 people in the township, 5,643 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships and city:
- Island Creek Township - north
- Steubenville - northeast
- Steubenville Township - east
- Wells Township - south
- Wayne Township - west
- Salem Township - northwest corner
Northeastern Cross Creek Township is occupied by parts of the city of Steubenville, the county seat of Jefferson County. Villages in the township include part of New Alexandria in the south and part of Wintersville in the north.
Name and history
It is the only Cross Creek Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jefferson County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.