|City of Crowley, Texas|
|Motto: "Governed by the People"|
Location of Crowley in Tarrant County, Texas
|• City Council||Mayor Billy Davis
|• City Manager||Robert Loftin|
|• Total||7.3 sq mi (18.8 km2)|
|• Land||7.3 sq mi (18.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||778 ft (237 m)|
|• Density||1,800/sq mi (680/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1333742|
|Website||City of Crowley, Texas|
Crowley is a city in Tarrant and Johnson counties in the U.S. state of Texas; virtually all of the city is in Tarrant County, with only about .01 sq mi in Johnson County. The population was 12,838 at the 2010 census.
Around 1848, pioneers began farming the area around Deer Creek. The settlement moved a mile or so west to the site of present-day downtown Crowley when the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad built pens and laid tracks there. The first station depot was built in 1885. The community was named for S. H. Crowley, who was the master of transportation for the railroad.
An election to approve the incorporation of Crowley was held on February 3, 1951. The town council voted to change the designation of Crowley from a town to a city on September 3, 1972.
Crowley is located at (32.577027, -97.359797).
As of the census of 2010, there were 12,838 people, 4,408 households, and 3,424 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,769.5 people per square mile (683.2/km²). There were 4,714 housing units at an average density of 649.8 per square mile (250.9/km²).
|All Figures as of the Census of 2010|
|Population||12,838||(density 1769.5/sq mi (683.2/km²))|
|Households||4,408||(2.91 people per household)|
|Families||3,424||(3.29 people per family)|
|Housing Units||4,714||(average density: 649.8/sq mi (250.9/km²))|
The racial makeup of the city in 2010 was 76.5% White, 13.3% African American, 0.8% Native American, 1.5% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 4.8% from other races, and 3.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.2% of the population.
|Other races:||4.8%||(616 people)|
|Two or more races||3.1%||(399 people)|
|African American||13.3%||(1,703 people)|
|Native American||0.8%||(97 people)|
|Asian American||1.5%||(197 people)|
|Pacific Islander||0.1%||(10 people)|
There were 4,408 households out of which 41.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.3% were married couples living together, 17.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.3% were non-families. 17.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.91 and the average family size was 3.29.
|Married Couples living together||55.3%||(2,439 households)|
|Households with children under the age of 18||41.5%||(1,829 households)|
|Households made up of individuals||17.6%||(776 households)|
|Female householder with no husband present||17.1%||(752 households)|
|Someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older||5.6%||(247 households)|
In the city of Crowley, the population distribution by age in 2010 was 30.9% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 30.2% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 8.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31.9 years.
|Under 18||30.9%||(3,962 people)|
|18 to 24||8.6%||(1,103 people)|
|25 to 44||30.2%||(3,878 people)|
|45 to 64||22.0%||(2,824 people)|
|65 or older||8.3%||(1,071 people)|
|Median Age||31.9 years|
For every 100 females there are 93.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.2 males.
|Male to Female Ratio||100 females : 93.3 males|
|Male to Female Ratio (18 and over)||100 females : 88.2 males|
The median income for a household in the city was $65,419, and the median income for a family was $66,888. Males had a median income of $47,037 versus $34,294 for females. The per capita income for the city was $24,806.
|Median Income (Household)||$65,419|
|Median Income (Family)||$66,888|
|Per capita (for each person)||$24,806|
|Population Below Poverty Line||7.9%||(1,014 people)|
|Families Below Poverty Line||6.3%||(216 families)|
|% Poverty < 18 years old||13.1%||(519 people)|
|% Poverty > 65 years old||4.3%||(46 people)|
The Crowley Independent School District extends north into Fort Worth and includes 22 public schools. Most of the district's schools are located within the Fort Worth city limits, including North Crowley High School and 9th Grade Campus, Crowley Middle School, Sue Crouch Intermediate School, and eight elementary schools. Crowley High School and 9th Grade Campus, H.F. Stevens Middle School, and two elementary schools are within the Crowley city limits.
- The computer game Dark Seed II is set in Crowley, but there is no resemblance to the actual city. It is the hometown of the protagonist, Mike Dawson, who suffered a nervous breakdown from the events of the previous game.
- "City of Crowley, Texas". City of Crowley, Texas. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Crowley city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- "Crowley, Texas". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "Profile for Crowley, Texas, TX". ePodunk. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Crowley city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- 2008-2012 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates
- City of Crowley official website
- Crowley Area Chamber of Commerce
- Crowley ISD
- United States Census Bureau
- Texas State Historical Association