Crown Heights Jewish Community Council
Crown Heights Jewish Community Council (CHJCC) is a nonprofit organization run by Jewish residents of Crown Heights, Brooklyn. CHJCC acts as a social service agency provides services to community residents including assistance to the elderly, housing, employment and job training, youth services and a food bank.
Formed in 1969, CHJCC administers social service programs operating in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. The agency provides referrals for community residents on issues of housing, employment, economic development, entitlements, problems of the aging and aid to crime victims.
Representative of the Jewish community
CHJCC also serves as a legal body representing the needs of the Crown Heights Jewish community. The organization's mission includes a pledge to represent and speak in the behalf of the local Jewish community, and to combat antisemitism.
CHJCC has created a multi-racial, faith, and community-based program called "Project Care". Project Care has explored new avenues of communication and cooperation between local civic and religious leaders within the community. The project promotes social and economic development in Crown Heights.
The elections are overseen by a council representing all Crown Heights synagogues, referred to as the "N’tzigim". In the event the N'tzigim are unable, or otherwise refuse to supervise the election, CHJCC must hire an outside firm to oversee the election.
- CHJCC. "Our Story". CHJCC. chcentral.org
- Nyc.gov. "Crown Heights Jewish Community Council". NYC Women's Resource Network: Organization Search. The City of New York. Nyc.gov. https://a069-webapps12.nyc.gov/womensdir/orgDetails.cfm?orgID=414
- Food bank directory listing
- OU.org. "OU Job Board Announces: Crown Heights JCC To Co-Sponsor Worldwide Webcast, How to Take an Interview". Orthodox Union. OU.org.
- Collive.com "Black Leaders Meet CHJCC". collive.com. October 18, 2010
- Shmais.com. "Crown Heights CHJCC Distributing Free Food for Pesach". shmais.com. March 4, 2013.
- CHJCC bylaws
- jfile.com. "CHJCC in State of Confusion Over Upcoming Elections". jfile.com. January 3, 2013.