|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2012)|
|Upscale Hotels & Resorts|
|Founder||InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG)|
Number of locations
|Parent||InterContinental Hotels Group|
|Slogan||Travel for Success|
Crowne Plaza is a chain of full service, upscale hotels catering to business travelers and to the meetings and conventions market. It forms part of the InterContinental Hotels Group family of brands, which include InterContinental Hotels & Resorts and Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts, and operates in 52 countries, usually located in city centers, resorts, or near major airports.
Originally branded as "Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza", the first United States Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza Hotel was opened in Rockville, Maryland, in 1983. Within a couple of years the brand was spun off as an independent chain (still owned at the time by Holiday Inn). The first Crowne Plaza Resort opened in Madeira, Portugal in 1999. Crowne Plaza once owned the Isle of Capri Casino resort chain.
Today, the brand represents over 392 hotels globally in 52 countries with 108,307 rooms (as of March 2013) and an expanding 98 hotels in the pipeline. In 1990, the InterContinental Hotels Group purchased the Holiday Inn family; today its portfolio includes the luxury brand InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, the upscale boutique brand Hotel Indigo, the upscale extended stay brand Staybridge Suites, the midscale extended stay brand Candlewood Suites, and the midscale, full service brand Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts and the midscale limited service brand Holiday Inn Express.
The InterContinental Hotels Group became the target of an international boycott campaign in May 2013, over their plan to operate an Intercontinental-brand luxury hotel in Lhasa, Tibet. According to campaigners from the Free Tibet campaign, the hotel was a "PR coup for the Chinese government". IHG responded that "IHG's hotels create jobs and drive tourism income in the communities where they operate, thereby helping to increase living standards in Lhasa and wider Tibet." 
- The Crowne Plaza Liverpool John Lennon Airport is the former terminal building of Liverpool Speke Airport, constructed in the 1930s and used until 1986. Its notable art deco features led to its listing as a heritage building, and subsequent conversion to a hotel.
- The Crowne Plaza Denver Airport Hotel has more meeting space on site than any other Crowne Plaza
- The Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers is the first hotel in Denmark to generate all of its power from renewable sources, including solar panels and geothermal heating and cooling pumps. Its stationary bicycles are connected to generators, which provide electricity to the hotel.
- Rapper Big Pun had a fatal heart attack on February 7, 2000 while staying at the Crowne Plaza in White Plains, New York.
- Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi Yas Island is opened in 2009 on Yas Island as part of the developer Aldar Properties's $40 billions master project to turn the man-made island into a multi-purpose leisure, shopping and entertainment destination.
- On 1 January 2011, the Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park became the first Crowne Plaza in Thailand.
- Crowne Plaza Belgrade, renovated 2012–13, is the biggest Crowne Plaza hotel in Europe.
- Crowne Plaza Christchurch, New Zealand demolished after damage in the 2011 Christchurch Earthquake
Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts is the title sponsor of the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial - a PGA Tour golf tournament held annually in Fort Worth, Texas. Starting in 2012, they are also officially sponsoring PGA Tour's 2010's Rookie of the Year, Rickie Fowler.
Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts have been the sponsor of the British FIA World Touring Car Championship driver Andy Priaulx, a multiple touring car champion, since 2006. They now continue to support him in the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters (DTM), a popular European touring car championship, as an official sponsor of BMW Motorsport along with the American LeMans Series(ALMS) where Californian Joey Hand represents the brand for both series.
- "InterContinental Hotels Group - About our brands - Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts". InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG). 2013-03-29. Retrieved 2013-03-29.
- The Guardian 24 May 2013 Tibetan activists launch boycott of InterContinental over hotel plans accessed 15 July 2013
- "Nomination of Rickie Fowler as Rookie of the Year 2010 on". Pgatour.com. 2010-12-05. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- "Official partnerships of Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts". Ichotelsgroup.com. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Crowne Plaza.|
- Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts
- Crowne Plaza worldwide location list
- Crowne Plaza Banquet Packages 2011