Cruel Intentions 2
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
|Cruel Intentions 2|
DVD release cover
|Directed by||Roger Kumble|
|Produced by||Roger Kumble
Neal H. Moritz
Charles Pratt, Jr.
|Written by||Roger Kumble|
Keri Lynn Pratt
|Music by||Edward Shearmur
|Cinematography||James R. Bagdonas|
|Edited by||J. Benjamin Chulay
|Distributed by||Fox Network (television airing)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (home video)
|November 9, 2000|
Cruel Intentions 2 (also known as Cruel Intentions 2: Manchester Prep or simply as Manchester Prep) is the 2000 American comedy-drama prequel to Cruel Intentions and was released direct-to-video. It was written and directed by Roger Kumble, who was also responsible for the first film. The film stars Robin Dunne, Sarah Thompson, Amy Adams, and Keri Lynn Pratt. Both films are based on Les Liaisons dangereuses by Choderlos de Laclos. The film is edited together from the two completed episodes of Manchester Prep, a series commissioned by the FOX network which was cancelled prior to broadcast; sexual content including scenes involving nudity were added for the DVD release.
The film opens with Sebastian Valmont (Robin Dunne) conversing with his soon-to-be ex-principal and the principal's insistence on having Sebastian's permanent record relayed to his new school, thereby hampering his chance for a new start at Manchester prep. Following his arrival in New York, Sebastian discovers the wealth of his new family; meeting Kathryn Merteuil (Amy Adams) for the first time and bettering her with piano and vocabulary. This leads to a confrontation between Kathryn and Sebastian whereby she states that she has a comfortable lifestyle and that he "better not interfere".
Sebastian later begins school. While waiting to see his new headmaster, he encounters Danielle Sherman (Sarah Thompson), who is, unknown to him, Headmaster Sherman's daughter. A school assembly follows, showing Kathryn delivering a speech to her classmates, but being persistently interrupted by uncontrollable hiccups coming from a student, who then begins to choke on the gum that she was chewing in a bid to stop her hiccups. She is saved by the quick action of Danielle who performs the Heimlich maneuver, allowing the student to expel the gum, which ends up flying into Kathryn's hair. A meeting of a secret society of student elites presided by Kathryn takes place, deciding upon the fate of the new students. This leads them to Cherie, the student with the hiccups. It is then discovered that Cherie's family is wealthier than that of Kathryn; this, and the events of the assembly, cause Kathryn to seek a vendetta against Cherie.
Sebastian, coming from a more humble upbringing, wishes to befriend his house staff. Doing so angers Kathryn, whose day is interrupted by not being able to contact her driver. This, and Kathryn's jealousy of Sebastian, cause her to admit that she is unhappy with her life. Sebastian attempts to woo Danielle: first, by asking her for coffee at her work; then, later, conversing with her over the telephone. Eventually, this evolves into a relationship, but Kathryn, seeing this, uses it as a way to get back at Sebastian. First, by tempting him away from Danielle by luring him with identical twins, who confide to Sebastian that Danielle is the only virgin at Manchester.
Kathryn's attempt to sabotage Cherie backfires, as Kathryn's mother tells her to become best friends with Cherie, in an attempt to encourage Cherie's mother to donate a large amount of money to the school. In the end, Sebastian stays with Danielle; professing his love for her, only to find that she does not reciprocate, but is in fact working alongside Kathryn in a secret plan to dupe Sebastian. Defeated by Kathryn's manipulation, Sebastian states "if you can't beat them, join them," thus leading to a threesome with Danielle and Kathryn followed by an alliance of the three to dominate and manipulate others. In the last scene, Cherie is seen riding her bike, which is run over by Sebastian's car. Sebastian offers to give her a ride, and has sex with her. Kathryn and Danielle are seen, in the front of the car, pleased with the results.
- Amy Adams as Kathryn Merteuil
- Robin Dunne as Sebastian Valmont
- Sarah Thompson as Danielle Sherman
- Keri Lynn Pratt as Cherie Claymon
- Barry Flatman as Headmaster Sherman
- Mimi Rogers as Tiffany Merteuil
- Teresa Hill as Lilly
- Barclay Hope as Mr. Felder
- Tane McClure as Bunny Claymon
- David McIlwraith as Edward Valmont
- Jonathan Potts as Assistant Headmaster Steve Muller
- Caley Wilson as Blaine Tuttle
- Deanna Wright as Penny Cartwright
- Clement von Franckenstein as Henry
- Shûko Akune as Min Lin
- Andrew Kraulis as Court Reynolds
- Alicia and Annie Sorell as real-life identical twins Sarah and Gretchen
Other songs used in Cruel Intentions 2 include:
- Thin Lizard Dawn - Weed
- Thin Lizard Dawn - "Under the Wing"
- Jessica Theely - "In Good Time"
- The Julie Band - "Bad Day"
- Cupcake - "Blood Thirsty"
- Treble Charger - "Left Feeling Odd"
- Gearwhore - "Passion"
- Jessica Sheely - "No Regrets"
- Bernie Barlow - "I Wanna Know Where Nowhere Is"
- Thin Lizard Dawn - "Turn Yourself In"
- Michael Greenspan - "I Want You"
- Lorna Vallings - "Taste"
- Shelly O'Neil - "Best Friend"
- Shelly Peiken - "Good to Me"
- Shelly O'Neil - "Make It Happen"
- The Julie Band - "Julie Goes Home Now"
- Jessica Sheely - "Feel Something"
- The Smithereens - "All Revved Up"
- The Smithereens - "The Last Good Time"
- Snow, Shauna (8 October 1999). "Arts And Entertainment Reports From The Times, News Services And The Nation's Press.". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- Bianculli, David (1 November 2002). "BEFORE SHOW CAN AIR, FOX SCRUBS 'GRUBBS'". New York Daily News. Retrieved 1 July 2014.