The awards have been sponsored and co-hosted by blogs such as GigaOm, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and ReadWriteWeb (which no longer participates), and tabulated from votes on their sites. Awards have been given out at ceremonies at various theaters in San Francisco, California.
The award, a plastic sculpture of a primate standing on top of a computer with a bone in his hand, is a reference to the opening scenes of 2001: A Space Odyssey, or possibly to a scene spoofing that movie in Zoolander..
- "Internet's young turks rally for big blogs Crunchies awards". AFP. January 18, 2008.
- Matt Rosoff (February 1, 2012). "No Love For Google At The Crunchies This Year". Business Insider.
- Damon Darlin (January 11, 2010). "A Song of Silicon Valley". New York Times.
- Jessica Guynn (January 11, 2010). "Silicon Valley turns out for Crunchies". Los Angeles Times.
- Scott Austin (January 19, 2009). "Here’s A Shiny Award To Perk You Up". Wall Street Journal.