Crush the Castle
|Crush the Castle|
|Developer(s)||Joey Betz and Chris "ConArtist" Condon|
|Release date(s)||April 28, 2009|
Crush the Castle is an action Flash game developed by Armor Games. The flash version was released on April 28, 2009, and versions for the iPhone and iPod Touch were released on January 19, 2010. Notable for its the "flinging" game mechanic which influenced the popular mobile game Angry Birds, the goal of the Crush the Castle is to kill all inhabitants of various castles by using a trebuchet to fling large rocks or bombs. A sequel, Crush the Castle 2, has similar gameplay, but features new maps and power-ups.
Crush the Castle 2
Crush the Castle 2 is similar, but features new maps, new power-ups and a revamped level builder. New things to fire from the trebuchet are greek fire, ice grenades, jars full of electric eels, and even a mysterious purple flask that creates a small black hole.
The developers cite the game, Castle Clout, released October 4, 2008 by Liam Bowmers, as their inspiration. Armor Games requested and received permission from Bowmers to use his ideas for the development of Crush the Castle.
IGN's Jeffrey Haynes called Crush the Castle "surprisingly deep and fun for such a simple premise." Joystiq's Justin McElroy stated "It's a simple mechanic, but it's hard to deny that's it's satisfying." GameZebo's Stephen Greenwell rated it 2/5 stars, stating it is "easy to pick up and play", but has "very repetitive gameplay" and "lackluster visuals and sounds". IGN's Levi Buchanan rated it 7/10, stating "If you like physics-based puzzle games, this really is one of the best." Kotaku's Brian Crecente stated "I've grown quite fond of Crush the Castle." Gamasutra's Christopher Hyde listed Crush the Castle in his list of "The 99 Best Free Games Of 2009". Crush the Castle has been called the inspiration behind a popular game of the same type, Angry Birds and mentioned as a free Internet alternative to the game." FlashMush reviews gave the Crush the Castle 2 Player's Pack a score of 8/10 citing that "[...] it's one of the best catapult games out there." 
- Joey Betz (2009-04-28). "Production Notes: Crush the Castle". Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- Rakesh Narang (2010-12-18). "Like Angry Birds iPhone Game, Wanna play Online? Check this out!". Wizard Journal. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- "Threes, clones and cornflakes: A view on 'casual games'". Gamasutra. 31 March 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2015.
- "Another 101 Free Games 2010 from". 1UP. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- Liam Bowmers (2008-10-04). "New Game - Feedback Requested". Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- Jeffrey Haynes (2009-08-11). "Jeff's Take on Crush the Castle - Web Games Feature at IGN". IGN. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- McElroy, Justin (2010-01-28). "iPhone It In: Crush the Castle". Joystiq. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "Crush the Castle Review". Gamezebo. 2009-12-31. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- Levi Buchanan (2010-09-28). "Crush the Castle Android Review - Android Review at IGN". IGN. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- Brian Crecente (Feb 4, 2010). "Crush The Castle Micro-Review: Fun With Trebuchets". Kotaku. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "News - Opinion: The 99 Best Free Games Of 2009". Gamasutra. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- "Crush the Castle 2 Player's Pack Review". FlashMush. 2011-07-31. Retrieved 2011-11-09.