|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
Cruzan Rum // is a rum producer located in Saint Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. It is owned by Beam Inc.. Their distillery was founded in 1760 and claims the distinction of "the most honored rum distillery in the world." For eight generations and through various changes in corporate ownership, the distillery has been managed by the Nelthropp family. The correct pronunciation is "KRU-zhun", with the "zh" pronounced as the "s" in "measure".
The distillery is also the largest supplier of American private and distributor label rum. Cruzan Rum also makes a pure cane distillate alcohol (in 189-proof), which can be found for sale in the medicine sections of many grocery stores in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Cruzan is one of two rum distilleries which, due to their place in American history, are part of the American Whiskey Trail.
Although Cruzan rums generally have had mixed success at international spirit ratings competitions, the single-barrel has performed extremely well. Cruzan's most notable showing was from 2009 raters at the Beverage Testing Institute who gave it a 96 (out of 100). Proof66 rates the single-barrel amongst the Top 20 rums in the world.
- Cruzan Estate Light: aged two years.
- Cruzan Estate Dark: aged two years, available in both 80- and 151-proof.
- Cruzan Estate Diamond: aged five years.(Discontinued)
- Cruzan 151°
- Cruzan 9: spiced rum named for the 9 different herbs used to make it and also the 9 districts of St. Croix.
- Cruzan Single Barrel: aged up to 12 years.
- Cruzan Clipper: an overproof amber rum.(Discontinued)
- Cruzan Tropical Rums
- Available in raspberry, coconut, mango, vanilla, pineapple, banana, black cherry, citrus, guava, and strawberry.
- Cruzan Rum Cream: a blend of Cruzan light rum, pure Irish cream, caramel, vanilla and other flavors.
- Cruzan Black Strap: a traditional, heavier rum made from the blackstrap molasses of sugar cane, noted for its low content of fusel alcohol.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cruzan Rum.|
- Cruzan Rum: official site
- The HISTORY of CRUZAN Rum: CRUZAN Rum & The Diamond Rum Company
- BoozeBasher review of Cruzan 151
- Beam Global Spirits & Wine, Inc.