Cryin' Like a Bitch
|"Cryin' Like a Bitch"|
|Single by Godsmack|
|from the album The Oracle|
|Released||Feb 23, 2010|
|Producer(s)||Sully Erna, Dave Fortman|
|Godsmack singles chronology|
Sully Erna describing the song as one of the toughest songs on the record. "It's a really tough song, very tough song, very tough riff, the drums are very aggressive and tight, the whole groove just had an edge to it, so not only did the lyrical content match the music very well, but it also just made me feel it just needed to be a gang, a gang enhancement on the chorus."
HardDrive Radio described the lyrics to "Cryin' Like a Bitch" as "a slam on an old bandmate that kicked Sully out of his band". In a video posted on Rockpit.com on 26 February, Sully Erna admitted that "Cryin' Like a Bitch" was inspired by events of last summer's Crüe Fest 2 tour, on which Godsmack appeared alongside headliners Mötley Crüe, along with the events with his old band.
Although Sully Erna was reluctant to say specifically who the song is about, stating "because I don't want to throw anyone under the bus," he noted, "It was more about just being fed up with prima donnas and certain rock stars in this industry that still feel they can push people around and are still relevant even though its been about 20 years since they've had their big moment." But he admitted that one particular person gave him the idea for the song. He explains that it grew out of hearing this person whine about certain things, which got on his nerves. But he's not necessarily complaining. Erna laughs as he adds, "It's a great song so I appreciate those people being the way they are. It helps inspire me."
In a 2009 interview with Artisan News Service, Sully Erna revealed that last summer's Crüe Fest 2 travelling festival turned out to be "the most dramatic tour" the band have ever been on, with the kind of "rock-star garbage" on the part of the tour's headliners that Erna and his bandmates had "never seen before in their career."
|“||I will tell you, it's been the most dramatic tour we've ever been on. I mean, talk about just craziness, man. Sometimes egos run high, man, and there's definitely been some rock-star garbage on this tour that just have never seen in our career. Every band — from Black Sabbath to Aerosmith, Rush, Metallica... you name it... They've always... I don't think there was ever a threat, you know what I mean?! Like who's gonna dwarf Metallica anyways? But there's always just been this mutual kind of like, 'We wanna put on a great show, so bring your bells and whistles, bring your show, so between you guys and us, we can make these people get a bang for their buck.' And that's really what entertainment has always been about. And so, I've never been in a position before where we felt we had to really protect this thing; it's kind of like a dog with a bone — you put us up against a wall and we're gonna come out swinging.
I don't know who needs to live up to whose reputations and I don't know why some people consider music as a competition, but I will tell you that I have never been in a situation where I felt like I was out for blood, and honestly, this was the first time that I felt like, 'You know what?! If there's gonna be some people that are gonna treat other people a certain way, then I'm gonna go out there every night and fucking crush you on stage — make sure that we make you look old and fat, and go home with a nice big fat paycheck. You can sit in your world and I'll sit in mine, and I'll see you at the top again, I guess, somewhere...' I don't know. All I care about, really, is playing music and enjoying myself on the road. I'm not here to compete. Everybody has their fans, everybody has their own music, and it's supposed to be more like a brotherhood, but... I don't know. It's been a good time for us out here, but in other situations, there's definitely been some uncomfortable moments.
During an interview with StaticMultimedia.com, Larkin revealed the true story behind "Cryin' Like a Bitch", and what exactly happened at Crüe Fest:
|“||I can't speak for the rest of the band. My only problem was the way their security treated our friends and family backstage - made it a bit uncomfortable to try to hang out normally because it was made to be such a big deal when Motley was in sight backstage, like our family or friends were gonna bother them or something, which was simply not the case. And I always hate it when the opening bands are barred from watching the headliner from a designated spot somewhere on the side of the stage, simply because if we want to watch their set (which you would think they would want) we can't just go out front and watch without it turning into a meet and greet with fans, which defeats the purpose cause we aren't watching the show then. In fairness, they blamed it on all of their pyro, but if you've ever seen Smack, you would know that we use a ton of pyro also, and we always find a spot that friends and family and opening bands can check it out. All in all, Tommy rules, and Nikki and Mick were really nice to me the two times I got to meet them. Never saw Vince.||”|
Then he adds:
|“||On a side note, I came up with the title 'Cryin' like a Bitch' after seeing Philip Rivers of the San Diego Chargers crying on the sidelines after a loss. That may sound cruel, but hey, I'm a Raiders fan. Nuff said.||”|
|1.||"Cryin' Like a Bitch"||Sully Erna||3:23|
The video premiered on April 15 via MySpace, and YouTube. the video features Ultimate Fighting Championship champions Chuck Liddell, Rashad Evans, Brock Lesnar, Diego Sanchez, BJ Penn, and Matt Hughes brutally knocking out the competition and showcasing their strength while Godsmack performs the song in a warehouse.
Sample of "Cryin' Like a Bitch", the first single to be released from "The Oracle", it was made available to download through iTunes
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Cryin' Like a Bitch" climbed the Billboard Alternative Songs, the Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks and the Billboard Rock Songs, reaching number twenty-five, one, and seven respectively, making it the band's 18th Top 10 hit at active rock radio. According to Billboard.com, "Cryin' Like a Bitch" began with 4.3 million first-week audience impressions on 92 stations.
The single debuted on the Billboard Heatseekers Songs, Billboard Digital Songs, and Billboard Hot 100 at number one, fifty-nine, and seventy-four respectively. According to Billboard.com, "Cryin' Like a Bitch" is just the band second listing on the Heatseekers Songs, and third on the Hot 100.
According to Universal Republic Records, "Cryin' Like a Bitch", which debuted a mere six weeks ago has become most added new Active Rock single of the year, and has already blazed to the top of the chart reaching number one. "Cryin' Like a Bitch" is the 15th Top Five hit for the group, more than artists such as Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, and others. It also marks Godsmack's record-breaking 18th Top 10 single of their career.[dead link]
With "Cryin' Like a Bitch" appearing on the Billboard Alternative Songs, Godsmack became the act with the most appearances on the chart without having a number one single. The single is Godsmack's 18th charted title.
|Billboard Hot 100||74|
|Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks||1|
|Billboard Alternative Songs||25|
|Billboard Rock Songs||7|
|Billboard Heatseekers Songs||1|
- Sully Erna - Vocals, Rhythm guitar, Producer
- Tony Rombola - Lead guitar
- Robbie Merrill - Bass
- Shannon Larkin - Drums
- Dave Fortman - Producer
- "Godsmack Discuss "Crying" Inspiration". rochesterathome.com. Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - GODSMACK Frontman Confirms 'Cryin' Like a Bitch' Was Inspired By Events Of CRÜE FEST 2". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- "Is Godsmack's New Single 'A Slam' On MÖTLEY CRÜE's NIKKI SIXX?". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2010-02-14.
- "Shannon Larkin of Godsmack". Static Multimedia. Retrieved 2010-04-16.
- "Hard Drive/Hard Drive XL - Today's Dirt". HardDrive XL. Retrieved 2010-02-15.
- "Godsmack 'Crying Like a Bitch' -- New Song - AOL Radio Blog". AOL Radio Blog. Retrieved 2010-02-09.
- "Amazon.com: Amazon.com: Cryin' Like A Bitch!! [Explicit]: Godsmack: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- "Interview with Sully Erna From Godsmack".
- "MySpace.com: Godsmack - Cryin' Like A Bitch!".
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - GODSMACK Performs 'Cryin' Like A Bitch' On 'The Tonight Show'". Blabbermouth.net. 2010-05-05.
- "Godsmack to Release Fifth Studio Album 'The Oracle' on May 4th". Marketwire.com. 2010-03-29. Retrieved 2010-03-29.
- "Music News: Godsmack Reveal Final Track Listing for “The Oracle” « Winxperts.net". Winxperts.net. 2010-02-26. Retrieved 2010-02-26.[dead link]
- "RadioWave Monitor". RadioWaveMonitor.com. 2010-04-09. Retrieved 2010-02-17.[dead link]
- "Alternative Rock Music News - 105.7 The Point :: Everything Alternative". 105.7 The Point :: Everything Alternative. Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- "Chart Beat Wednesday: Kenny Chesney, Lady Antebellum, Godsmack - Chart Beat". Billboard.com. 2010-02-17. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "Cruz Docks at No. 1, Rihanna Rises on Hot 100". Billboard.com. 2010-03-11. Retrieved 2010-03-11.
- "Chart Beat Thursday: Loretta Lynn, Madonna, Peter Wolf - Chart Beat". Billboard.com. 2010-04-15. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "Chart Highlights: Jazz, Christian Songs & More - Chart Beat". Billboard.com. 2010-02-15. Retrieved 2010-02-15.
- YouTube - Godsmack VS Motley Crue Egos On Crue Fest 2
- YouTube - Tommy Lee Is Staying Out Of Motley Crue-Godsmack Beef
- YouTube - Godsmack - Cryin' Like A Bitch!!
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
"Your Decision" by Alice in Chains
|Billboard Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks number-one single
April 24, 2010 - May 22, 2010
"The Good Life" by Three Days Grace