Temporal range: Early Jurassic—Present, 190–0Ma 
|Aldabra giant tortoise (Aldabrachelys gigantea)|
Cryptoderes Duméril and Bibron, 1834
Cryptodira is the taxonomic suborder of Testudines that includes most living tortoises and turtles. Cryptodira differ from Pleurodira (side-neck turtles) in that they lower their necks and pull the heads straight back into the shells; instead of folding their necks sideways along the body under the shells' margins. They include among their species freshwater turtles, snapping turtles, tortoises, soft shell turtles, and sea turtles.
Systematics and evolution
Cryptodira has three living superfamilies, the Chelonioidea (sea turtles), Testudinoidea (tortoises and pond turtles) and Trionychoidea (softshell turtles and relatives). The families within Kinosternoidea are now recognized as a paraphyletic assemblage of mostly primitive Trionychoidea; they do not form a natural group.
Two circumscriptions of the Cryptodira are commonly found. One is used here; it includes a number of primitive extinct lineages known only from fossils, as well as the Eucryptodira. These are, in turn, made up from some very basal groups, and the Centrocryptodira contains the prehistoric relatives of the living cryptodires, as well as the latter, which are collectively called Polycryptodira.
The alternate concept restricts the use of the term "Cryptodira" to the crown clade (i.e. Polycryptodira). The Cryptodira as understood here are called Cryptodiramorpha in this view. Under this approach, the pleurodires and cryptodires are not sister taxa.
As per the system used here, the Cryptodira can be classified as:
- Family †"Plesiochelyidae"
- Family †Xinjiangchelyidae
- Clade Panchelonioidea
- Superfamily Testudinoidea
- Family †Haichemydidae
- Family †Lindholmemydidae
- Family †Sinochelyidae
- Family Platysternidae (big-headed turtle)
- Family Emydidae (pond, box and water turtles)
- Family Geoemydidae (Asian river turtles, Asian leaf turtles, Asian box turtles and roofed turtles)
- Family Testudinidae (tortoises)
- Clade Panchelydridae
- Clade Pantrionychia
- Baur, George (1890): On the Classification of the Testudinata. Am. Nat. 24(282): 530-536. doi:10.1086/275138 First page image
- Haaramo, Mikko (2008): Mikko's Phylogeny Archive – Cryptodira. Version of 2008-MAR-11. Retrieved 2008-MAY-07.
- Rhodin, Anders G.J.; van Dijk, Peter Paul; Inverson, John B.; Shaffer, H. Bradley; Roger, Bour (2011-12-31). "Turtles of the world, 2011 update: Annotated checklist of taxonomy, synonymy, distribution and conservation status". Chelonian Research Monographs 5. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-01-22.
- Rhodin, Anders G.J.; van Dijk, Peter Paul; Parham, James F. (2008-12-08). "Turtles of the world, 2008 checklist". Chelonian Research Monographs 5. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-09-05.
|Wikispecies has information related to: Cryptodira|