Crystal Beach, Ottawa
For other uses, see Crystal Beach (disambiguation)
Crystal Beach is a community located on the west side of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Its boundaries can broadly be described as Carling Avenue to the North, Moodie Drive to the West, and Corkstown Road and Highway 417 to the South and Holly Acres Drive (formerly Acres Road) to the East. Crystal Beach was established in the 1960s. Primarily developed by Minto Developments Inc., many of the residences in Crystal Beach are modified versions of the five original models of homes originally built in the neighbourhood. The neighbourhood was later extended in 1974 around Carling via Corkstown Road with townhomes and in 1988 with Maki Park. Some newer portions of the neighbourhood were built by Garand Homes. For Municipal Election purposes, Crystal Beach is located in the Bay Ward.
Crystal Beach is a primarily residential neighbourhood with a strong sense of community, and over the years, has become one of the most desired real-estate locations in Ottawa. Much of Crystal Beach's appeal is due to its close proximity to the Nepean Sailing Club, Andrew Haydon Park, the Ottawa River, its award-winning neighbourhood design (to reduce traffic flowing through), easy access to the Queensway (Highway 417), quality schooling, community centre, and the recreational facilities within.
(schools within Crystal Beach boundaries)
- Lakeview Public School (Early French Immersion) JK to Grade 5
- Crystal Beach Public School for Special Education
(schools outside Crystal Beach, but which have Crystal Beach as a part of their catchment zone)
- Collège catholique Franco-Ouest (Grade 7 to 12)
- Our Lady of Peace Catholic Elementary, Bells Corners (JK to Grade 6)
- Bells Corners Public, Bells Corners (JK to Grade 5)
- Grant Alternative School (JK to Grade 6)
- D.A. Moodie, Bells Corners (Grade 6 to 8)communitiy's middle school
- St. Paul High School, 2675 Draper Avenue (Grades 7 and 8, Grades 9 to 12)
- Bell High School, Bells Corners (Grade 9 to 12)community's high school
- Andrew Haydon Park
- Corkstown Park- Features a skatin rink and a swimming pool.
- Maki Park - In the winter months, Maki Park has a full skating rink and 'puddle'. This facility is supervised, lit at night, has on-site washrooms available, and full hockey boards on the main surface. Open: Mon to Fri: 6 to 9 pm & Sat, Sun: noon to 9 pm. Please see the City of Ottawa's Website for more information.
- Lakeview Park - In the winter months, Lakeview Park has two ice surfaces, a full size ice rink for hockey and a separate sheet for skating. This outdoor ice surface has been sought after by NHL teams like the Florida Panthers.
- Winthrop Park
- Dick Bell Park - The Nepean Sailing Club is located in Dick Bell Park.
- Lakeview- Corkstown Road and Carling to the north, NCC Bike path to the west, Holly Acres Road to the east and Highway 417 to the south.
- Crystal Bay Established in early 1900s
- Rocky Point Established in ealry 1900s
- Stonehedge East of Holly Acres Drive, south of Carling, and west and south of Bayshore
Crystal Beach is a 15 minute drive from Downtown, and about 5 minutes from Kanata. From this neighbourhood there are easy ways to access both the West end and Centre of Ottawa, as Crystal Beach is served by two major arteries (Highway 417, Carling avenue).
Public Transportation is provided by OC Transpo, with Route 152 as the primary route for the community.
The closest community police station is in Bayshore at: 98 Woodridge Crescent (Tel: 613-236-1222, ext. 2345).
- http://cblca.sixent.com/ - The Crystal Beach/Lakeview Community Association website
- Interactive Crime statistics for Crystal Beach
- OC Transpo