Screenshot of gameplay
|Release date(s)||23 October 1991|
|Genre(s)||Side scrolling platformer|
|Distribution||Floppy disk (1)|
Crystal Caves is a trilogy of side-scrolling platform games, developed and published by Apogee Software, released on 23 October 1991. The three episodes have the titles "Troubles with Twibbles," "Slugging it Out" and "Mylo Versus the Supernova."
The first episode is available for free, while the remaining two need to be paid for. According to the designer Frank Maddin, this marketing method "worked pretty well for the time." All three games have identical gameplay, and differ only in level design, some graphics and the story.
Crystal Caves was inspired by Miner 2049er. The main character's name, "Mylo Steamwitz", was coined by George Broussard and was meant to sound like a loser's name. Most graphics were created by Frank Maddin.
Development on Crystal Caves began back when George Broussard was still releasing games under the name Micro F/X. A few months into the development (when about 50-70% of the game was complete) George joined Apogee and Crystal Caves became an Apogee product.
Mylo Steamwitz has to get all the crystals in each screen ("cave") to win that screen, but this requires shooting foes (with the need to replenish ammo), avoid shooting air supplies, find & turn on the lights, and turn switches on or off. Though mostly straight shoot-em-up, the game does involve some careful problem solving, with the risk of mistakes that make completing the cave impossible. He enters and leaves caves by doors to individual rooms from a central cavern, which doors function in-game as teleportation booths.
- "3D Realms Site: Crystal Caves". 3D Realms News. 3D Realms. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- "3D Realms News: The Apogee Legacy #5". 3D Realms News. 3D Realms. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- "3D Realms News: Updates for some older titles available". 3D Realms News. 3D Realms. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- "Frank Maddin Interview". Perilous Crystal Caves Website. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- Official home page including shareware download
- Crystal Caves at MobyGames
- Perilous Crystal Caves Website fan site