|Crystal Gail Mangum|
|Born||Crystal Gail Mangum
July 18, 1978
Durham, North Carolina
|Occupation||US Navy; Stripper|
|Theft; Murder (second degree)|
Crystal Gail Mangum (born July 18, 1978) is an African-American woman from Durham, North Carolina best known for making false allegations of rape against white lacrosse players in the Duke lacrosse case. The case created extensive media interest and academic debate about race, gender and the politicization of the justice system.
Mangum was born and grew up in Durham, North Carolina, the daughter of a truck driver, Travis Mangum, and his wife Mary. She was the youngest of three children.
In 1996 she filed a police report alleging that three years earlier, when she was 14, she had been kidnapped by three assailants, driven to Creedmoor, North Carolina, and raped. One of those she accused was her boyfriend, who was 21 at the time. She subsequently backed away from the charges, a move relatives claimed was motivated by fear for her life. Mangum's father says he does not believe she was raped or injured, though her mother believes an incident could have occurred—but not in 1993. She thinks it is more likely to have happened when Crystal was 17 or 18 years old, shortly before she made the police report. Mangum's ex-husband, Kenneth Nathanial McNeill, believes the incident occurred as she said it did.
After graduation from high school in 1996, she joined the U.S. Navy. She trained to operate radios and navigation technology. While serving in the navy, she married McNeill. Her marriage quickly broke down. She reported to police that her husband had threatened to kill her, but the charge was dismissed when she failed to appear in court. She served for less than two years in the navy before being discharged from the service after becoming pregnant by a fellow sailor, with whom she went on to have another child.
By 2002 Mangum had returned to Durham and was working as an exotic dancer. In 2003, she was arrested on ten charges after stealing the taxicab of a customer to whom she had given a lap dance. This prompted a police pursuit at speeds of up to 70 miles per hour, occasionally in the wrong lane. After being stopped, she nearly ran over a police officer, succeeding only in hitting his patrol vehicle. She was found to have a Blood Alcohol Content of just over twice the legal limit. Ultimately, she pleaded guilty on four counts: assault on a government official, larceny, speeding to elude arrest, and driving while impaired, serving three weekends in jail, paying $4,200 in restitution and fees, and being given two years probation.
Duke lacrosse case
In March 2006, after arriving, intoxicated, with a fellow exotic dancer to a house rented by three of the Duke University men's lacrosse team captains, she became involved in an argument with the occupants of the house, and left. After becoming involved in an altercation with her fellow stripper that necessitated police assistance, she made an allegation of rape. District Attorney Mike Nifong, up for reelection, pursued the case despite questions about the credibility of Mangum, and exculpatory evidence that failed to demonstrate that Mangum had been raped by the Duke lacrosse players. It took nearly a year for the attorney-general's office to dismiss the charges and declare that the players were innocent of the charges laid against them by Nifong.
In 2008 Mangum published a memoir, The Last Dance For Grace: the Crystal Mangum Story, written with Vincent Clark. The book gives her version of events. She continues to insist that she was assaulted at the party and says that the dropping of the case was politically motivated. The book also outlines her earlier life, reasserting her claim that she was raped at the age of 14.
Arrests since lacrosse case
Just before midnight on February 17, 2010, Durham police were called to Mangum's residence by her nine-year-old daughter. When they arrived, they said they found Mangum and her then live-in boyfriend, Milton Walker, fighting. They said she set fire to some of his clothing in a bathtub in their presence. The building suffered heavy smoke damage. They arrested Mangum on charges of attempted murder, first-degree arson, assault and battery, identity theft, communicating threats, damage to property, resisting an officer, and misdemeanour child abuse.
Mangum was ordered to remain in jail on $1 million bond. Her bond was lowered to $100,000 in May, and she was released from jail to live in a friend's house. She was required to wear an electronic monitoring device. On July 12, 2010, she was released from house arrest and required to move in with her mother. She was allowed to visit her three children but only under supervision of social services. Mangum was arrested again on August 25, 2010, and held on $150,000 bond for failure to comply with the restrictions on her child visitation order.
On December 17, 2010, Mangum was convicted of contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile, injury to personal property and resisting a public officer. The jury deadlocked 9-3 for not guilty on the felony arson charge but was unable to reach a decision on it. After the verdict, Judge Abe Jones sentenced Mangum to 88 days in jail, which she had already served, and left the custody decision in the hands of social services. Durham Assistant District Attorney Mark McCullough announced on January 21, 2011, that he would not retry Mangum on arson charges.
Second-degree murder conviction
Mangum was arrested on April 2, 2011, following accusations that she repeatedly stabbed and seriously injured her boyfriend, Reginald Daye. She was charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill or inflicting serious bodily injury, a class C felony in North Carolina. Ten days later, Daye died in the hospital, and Mangum was indicted on a murder charge. Mangum was held in jail under a $300,000 secured bail bond, which was set prior to her boyfriend's death. In November, Mangum was deemed competent to stand trial for murder. On May 1, 2012, Mangum's attorney withdrew citing the release by Mangum of confidential information regarding her case to her supporters. On February 20, 2013, Mangum was released on bail until trial.
At the trial, Mangum argued that she stabbed Daye in self-defense, as she was being assaulted by him. The prosecution argued that the forensic evidence supported Daye's dying statement that he was attempting to get away from Mangum when he was stabbed. On November 22, 2013, Mangum was found guilty of second-degree murder by a jury of seven men and five women. Judge Paul Ridgeway sentenced her to serve a minimum of 14 years, 2 months and a maximum of 18 years in prison.
- "Crystal Gail Mangum: Profile of the Duke Rape Accuser". FoxNews.com. April 11, 2007. Retrieved April 15, 2011.
- Police: Boyfriend of Duke lacrosse accuser is dead
- Mangum found guilty in boyfriend's stabbing death :: WRAL.com
- Craig Jarvis (13 April 2007). "Mangum's life: conflict, contradictions". News and Observer.
- Laura Parker (19 June 2007). "Disbarment may not be end for Nifong". USA Today.
- "N.C. attorney general: Duke players 'innocent'". Edition.cnn.com. Retrieved April 16, 2010.
- Andrew Hibbard, "Memoir chronicles lax accuser's troubled life", The Chronicle, Duke University, 6 November, 2008
- Attempted murder charges for Duke accuser
- "Arrest warrant issued for Mangum in Durham". WRAL-TV. Retrieved October 9, 2010.
- Emery P. Palesio, "Duke lacrosse accuser convicted of child abuse", Associated Press, 17 Dec 2013.
- Jesse James DeConto, "Judge declares mistrial on Mangum's felony arson charge", newsobservor.com, 17 Dec 2013.
- Judge declares mistrial on Mangum's felony arson charge
- Duke lacrosse accuser won't face arson retrial
- "Police: Duke lacrosse accuser charged in stabbing". WRAL.com. April 3, 2011. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- "Felonious assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill or inflicting serious injury; punishments.".
- Duke Lacrosse Accuser Indicted on Murder Charge
- Man Mangum accused of stabbing dies
- "Lacrosse accuser deemed competent for murder trial". Durham, North Carolina: WRAL. 1 November 2011.
- Crystal Mangum's attorney withdraws from murder case
- Duke lacrosse accuser released on bond on murder charge :: WRAL.com