Crystal Pite in 2010
|Born||December 15, 1970|
|Occupation||Dancer and choreographer|
|Current group||Kidd Pivot|
|Former groups||Ballet BC
Canadian choreographer and performer Crystal Pite (born 1970) is the founder and artistic director of Kidd Pivot. Pite is also currently the associate choreographer of Nederlands Dans Theater, associate dance artist of Canada’s National Arts Centre and an Associate Artist of Sadler's Wells, London.
Crystal Pite grew up in Victoria, BC, studying dance under Maureen Eastick and Wendy Green. She joined Ballet British Columbia as a dancer in 1988 and performed with the company for eight years. In 1996, Pite left Canada to join Ballett Frankfurt in Germany under the directorship of William Forsythe.
Under the directorship of Forsythe, Pite performed around the world with Ballett Frankfurt, in works such as Eidos: Telos, The Loss of Small Detail, and Endless House. She was involved in the creation of Forsythe's CD-ROM, Improvisation Technologies, and participated as both performer and creator in Forsythe's work.
Pite's choreographic debut was in 1990, for Ballet British Columbia. Since then, she has created pieces for many other companies, including Cullberg Ballet, Netherlands Dans Theater, Ballett Frankfurt, The National Ballet of Canada, Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal (Resident Choreographer 2001–04), Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet, Ballet British Columbia, Alberta Ballet, Ballet Jorgen Canada, and several independent dance artists including Louise Lecavalier.
Pite has been described as "one of the hottest choreographers on the planet."
In 2002, Pite formed Kidd Pivot, an inter-disciplinary performing arts company based in Vancouver, Canada.
Kidd Pivot, Pite's contemporary dance company, is based in Vancouver, Canada, and tours internationally. The company is currently performing such acclaimed works as The Tempest Replica (2011), The You Show (2010), Dark Matters (2009), and Lost Action (2006). Past works include Uncollected Work (2002), Double Story (2004), and Fault (2008).
Critic Heather Wisner states: "Kidd Pivot's dancers blended classical contemporary, and hip hop with exquisite control, and their rendition of Pite's work etched itself into the space as well as the memory" in their performance of Lost Action.
- 1995 Banff Centre's Clifford E. Lee Award
- 2004 Paul D. Fleck Fellowship in the Arts from The Banff Centre
- 2004 Bonnie Bird North American Choreography Award
- 2005 Isadora Award
- 2006 Rio Tinto Alcan Performing Arts Award – Dance, administered by the Vancouver East Cultural Centre
- 2006 Jessie Richardson Theatre Award
- 2008 Governor General’s Performing Arts Awards Mentorship Award
- 2009 Work has received four Dora Mavor Moore Awards
- 2011 Jacob's Pillow Dance Award
- 2012 Lola Award
- 2012 Jacqueline Lemieux Prize
- 2012 Georgia Straight's Best of Vancouver Award: Best local dancer.
- "Arts Alive". Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Sulcas, Roslyn (15 March 2012). "Roots in New York, but Stretching to Europe: Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet at Joyce Theater". New York Times (New York, United States). Retrieved 18 March 2012.
- Meyers, Deborah (15 September 2012), Tempest Replica Takes City by Storm: Acclaimed Choreographer Crystal Pite's Riff on Shakespeare is the Don't-Miss Event of the Season, The Vancouver Sun: E6 (subscription required)
- Wisner, Heather. “Kidd Pivot.” Dance Magazine 83.2 (2009)
- Smith, Janet (20 August 2012). "Choreographer Crystal Pite nabs national award". The Georgia Straight.
- "Best of Vancouver 2012". Georgia Straight.
- "Crystal Pite." http://www.banffcentre.ca. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Oct 2011. <http://www.banffcentre.ca/faculty/faculty-member/3150/crystal-pite.mvc>.
- Shauna, Hey. "Kidd Pivot Frankfurt RM." http://kiddpivot.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Oct 2011. <http://kiddpivot.org/>.
- Wisner, Heather. “Kidd Pivot.” Dance Magazine 83.2 (2009): 96-97. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. Oct 17. 2011.
- Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet - Crystal Pite
- Meet the Artists - ArtsAlive.ca Dance
- Crystal Pite - BC Scene
- Kidd Pivot - News
- Archive footage of Kidd Pivot performing Pite's "Dark Matters" at Jacob's Pillow in July, 2011
- Archival footage of Kidd Pivot performing Lost Action at Jacob's Pillow in 2009
- Archival footage of PillowTalk: Canadian Dance on Film; Philip Szporer and Marlene Millar discuss their collaboration with Crystal Pite on the 3D dance film Lost Action: Trace