Paddy cultivation between Chidambaram and Puducherry
Location in Tamil Nadu, India
|Talukas||Chidambaram, Cuddalore, Kattumannarkoil, Panruti, Titakudi, Vriddachalam|
|• Collector & District Magistrate||Mr.Krilosh kumar IAS|
|• Density||702/km2 (1,820/sq mi)|
|• Official||Tamil, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 04142|
|ISO 3166 code||[[ISO 3166-2:IN|]]|
|Vehicle registration||TN 31 |
|Nearest city||Pondicherry, Chennai|
|Sex ratio||984 ♂/♀|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Cuddalore|
|Avg. summer temperature||41 °C (106 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||20 °C (68 °F)|
Cuddalore District (Tamil: கடலூர் மாவட்டம்) is a district of Tamil Nadu state in southern India. The city of Cuddalore is the district headquarters. As of 2011, Cuddalore district had a population of 2,605,914 with a sex-ratio of 987 females for every 1,000 males.
The first urn burial grave goods found in the district were in the village of Marungur, and carried inscriptions in Tamil Brahmi from the 1st century BCE.Pulavankuppam village live in many MBC vanniyar.Pulavankuppam village has been well developed area PULAVANKUPPAM village have been many MBC(VANNIYAR) live here
The district has an area of 3,564 km². It is bounded on the north by Viluppuram District, on the east by the Bay of Bengal, on the south by Nagapattinam District, and on the west by Perambalur District. The district is drained by Gadilam and Pennaiyar rivers in the north, Vellar and Kollidam River (Coleroon) in the south.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Cuddalore one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the six districts in Tamil Nadu currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
According to 2011 census, Cuddalore district had a population of 2,605,914 with a sex-ratio of 987 females for every 1,000 males, much above the national average of 929. A total of 279,950 were under the age of six, constituting 147,644 males and 132,306 females. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes accounted for 29.32% and .6% of the population respectively. The average literacy of the district was 69.66%, compared to the national average of 72.99%. The district had a total of 635,578 households. There were a total of 1,169,880 workers, comprising 136,035 cultivators, 325,599 main agricultural labourers, 19,151 in house hold industries, 356,486 other workers, 332,609 marginal workers, 29,135 marginal cultivators, 213,813 marginal agricultural labourers, 12,876 marginal workers in household industries and 76,785 other marginal workers. The district has a population density of 702 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,820 /sq mi) .
Cuddalore district consists of the following urban cities:
- Cuddalore town
- Chidambaram town
- Panruti town
- Virudhachalam town
- Silver Beach at Devanampatinam (Cuddalore)
- Pichavaram, one of the world's largest mangrove forests
- Veeranam Lake, Kattumannarkoil ;Pulavankuppam is surrounded areas many of forests & cahew tree
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme". National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Census Info 2011 Final population totals - Cuddalore district". Office of The Registrar General and Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Agriculture, Tamil Nadu state
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cuddalore district.|