|Genus "Cuevavirus" (proposed)|
|Group:||Group V ((-)ssRNA)|
Type Species "Lloviu cuevavirus" (proposed)
The genus "Cuevavirus" was recently proposed to be included in the family Filoviridae. It is suggested to include only one species, "Lloviu cuevavirus", as a taxonomic home for the recently discovered agent Lloviu virus (LLOV). LLOV is a distant relative of the commonly known Ebola virus and Marburg virus.
Use of term
The genus "Cuevavirus" is a virological taxon (i.e. a man-made concept) that was suggested in 2010 to be included in the family Filoviridae, order Mononegavirales. The genus was suggested to include a single virus species, "Lloviu cuevavirus". The members of the genus (i.e. the actual physical entities) are called "cuevaviruses". The name "Cuevavirus" is derived from the Spanish noun cueva (alluding to the first identification of a cuevavirus in a Spanish cave) and the taxonomic suffix -virus (which denotes a virus genus).
"Cuevavirus" is pronounced ˌˌkwɛvə’vaɪrəs (IPA) or kwe-vuh-vahy-ruhs in English phonetic notation. According to the rules for taxon naming established by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV), the name "Cuevavirus" is always to be capitalized, not italicized but instead placed in quotation marks because of its unaccepted status, never abbreviated, and to be preceded by the word "genus". The names of its members ("cuevaviruses") are to be written in lower case in quotation marks, are not italicized, and used without articles. A formal proposal to accept this genus into virus taxonomy has recently been submitted.
Genus inclusion criteria
- it is endemic in France, Portugal, or Spain
- its fourth gene (GP) encodes four proteins (sGP, ssGP, Δ-peptide, and GP1,2) using cotranscriptional editing to express ssGP and GP1,2 and proteolytic cleavage to express sGP and Δ-peptide
- its genome differs from that of Marburg virus (variant Musoke) by ≥50% and from that of Lloviu virus (variant Bat86) by <50% at the nucleotide level
- Kuhn, J. H.; Becker, S.; Ebihara, H.; Geisbert, T. W.; Johnson, K. M.; Kawaoka, Y.; Lipkin, W. I.; Negredo, A. I.; Netesov, S. V.; Nichol, S. T.; Palacios, G.; Peters, C. J.; Tenorio, A.; Volchkov, V. E.; Jahrling, P. B. (2010). "Proposal for a revised taxonomy of the family Filoviridae: Classification, names of taxa and viruses, and virus abbreviations". Archives of Virology 155 (12): 2083–2103. doi:10.1007/s00705-010-0814-x. PMC 3074192. PMID 21046175.
- Negredo, A.; Palacios, G.; Vázquez-Morón, S.; González, F. L.; Dopazo, H. N.; Molero, F.; Juste, J.; Quetglas, J.; Savji, N.; de la Cruz Martínez M; Herrera, J. E.; Pizarro, M.; Hutchison, S. K.; Echevarría, J. E.; Lipkin, W. I.; Tenorio, A. (2011). "Discovery of an Ebolavirus-Like Filovirus in Europe". In Basler, Christopher F. PLoS Pathogens 7 (10): e1002304. doi:10.1371/journal.ppat.1002304. PMC 3197594. PMID 22039362.