Cultural Heritage of Serbia
|Part of a series on the|
||This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section|
Cultural Heritage (Serbian: Непокретна културна добра (НКД) / Nepokretna kulturna dobra (NKD); lit. "Immovable Cultural Goods") are those national heritage sites in Serbia protected by the Law on Cultural Heritage. Some of them are also World Heritage Sites.
The preservation and protection of the cultural heritage sites is entrusted to the National Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments. The Institute maintains the Central Register of Cultural Heritage. The Register currently lists 2,458 heritage sites classified in four categories: cultural monuments, archaeological sites, historic landmarks and spatial cultural-historical units. 200 of those are classified as being "of exceptional importance", and thus entitled to the highest level of protection. Further 582 are classified as being "of great importance", while the rest are "unclassified".
Cultural Heritage of Exceptional Importance
Those sites enjoy the highest level of the state protection, as defined by the Law. In order to be on the list, properties must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Embodies special significance pertaining to the social, historical and cultural development of peoples in the nation's history and development of the nation's natural environment;
- Testifies to crucial historical events and personalities and their activities in the nation's history;
- Is a unique or rare representation of the human creativity of a certain time period or a unique example from natural history;
- Exhibits exceptional artistic or aesthetic value.
The register of 2,458 sites and localities is divided into twelve categories:
|Exceptional Importance||Great Importance||Unclasified|
|Spatial Cultural-Historical Units||List||List||List|
- Закон о културним добрима ("Law on Cultural Heritage"), Act No. 71 of 1994 (in Serbian). Retrieved on 10 December 2013.
- Official web site
- National Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments official site: Nepokretna kulturna dobra - NKD, retrieved 10 December 2013 (Serbian)
- National Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments official site: List of Cultural Heritage of Exceptional Importance (Serbian)
- National Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments official site: List of Cultural Heritage of Great Importance (Serbian)