Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry
|Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Cult. Med. Psychiatr.|
|Discipline||Medical and psychiatric anthropology, cross-cultural psychiatry|
|Edited by||Atwood D. Gaines|
|Part of a series on|
|Medical and psychological
|Social and cultural anthropology|
The journal was established in 1977 by Arthur Kleinman (Harvard University), who was editor-in-chief until 1986. Kleinman was succeeded by Byron Good (Harvard University), with Mary-Jo DelVecchio Good (Harvard University) serving as co-editor from 1992 through 2004. In 2004, Anne Becker (Harvard Medical School) and Peter J. Guarnaccia (Rutgers University), became co-editors-in-chief and served until 2007. They were succeeded in 2007 by Atwood D. Gaines (Case Western Reserve University), who brought on Managing Editor Brandy L Schillace (Case Western Reserve University). At this time, a range of new categories of scholarly contributions were introduced (Circumstantial Deliveries, Illness Narratives, Communiqués, Opinions, and Cultural Case Studies), in addition to the regular research articles. The scope of the journal was also expanded to include not only the social sciences of medicine but also the histories and philosophies of medicine and science and bioethics. In addition, the journal hosted a medical humanities special issue in December of 2012 and continues to seek medical history and medical humanities works in addition to other related content.
The journal nowadays describes itself as an "international and interdisciplinary forum for the publication of work in the fields of medical and psychiatric anthropology, cross-cultural psychiatry, and associated cross-societal and clinical epidemiological studies".
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
- Social Science Citation Index
- EBSCO databases
- Abstracts in Anthropology
- Academic OneFile
- Academic Search
- Current Contents/Social & Behavioral Sciences
- International Bibliography of Book Reviews
- International Bibliography of Periodical Literature
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences
- Arthur Kleinman, Curriculum Vitae (PDF), retrieved 26 May 2010
- Peter J. Guarnaccia (2003), "Editorial", Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry 27: 249–257, doi:10.1023/A:1025390614115, ISSN 1573-076X
- "Culture, medicine and psychiatry: Twenty years and more", Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry 20 (1), March 1996: vii–xi, doi:10.1007/BF00118748, ISSN 1573-076X
- "Editorial; Transitions, Affinities and the New Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry". Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry 31: 275–282. December 2007. doi:10.1007/s11013-007-9061-3.
- "Brief description of journal and scope". Springer Science+Business Media. Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- "Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry". 2011 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2012.