Culver City High School
|Culver City High School|
"Learn To Achieve. Achieve To Learn. Tomorrow Starts Today."
|4401 Elenda Street
Culver City, California, 90230
|School district||Culver City Unified School District|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue & Silver|
|Rivals||Beverly Hills High School|
Culver City High School is the main public high school of the Culver City Unified School District (CCUSD) in Culver City, California. It was opened in 1951. The school's colors are blue and silver, and the mascot is the centaur. As of 2014, the enrollment was roughly 2000. Culver City High School is recognized as a California Distinguished School, earning the honor in 2005.
Sony Pictures Entertainment, also situated in Culver City, has sponsored the high school and its active Culver City Academy of Visual and Performing Arts. Likewise, CCHS's facade and field have been filmed for television shows and movies. For example, The Wonder Years, Another Gay Movie, James at 15 (including the interior of the grounds and buildings), and Teaching Mrs. Tingle filmed the facades of CCHS and the connected Culver City Middle School. The Woody Allen 1973 film Sleeper features the outside of the landmark Culver City High School Auditorium. Also, Nickelodeon used CCHS's exterior for the school in its show The Journey of Allen Strange. In addition, the shows Arrested Development and Party of Five was filmed at CCHS, as were several music videos. The movie, "Think Like a Man" was filmed in the school's gym and it debuted in 2012.
CCHS also hosts several events. Since 2004, it has held an annual peace concert called Peace of Music. Every year on July 4, CCHS hosts a fireworks show, sponsored by the Culver City Exchange Club. In addition, Rigoberta Menchú has visited and spoken on peace.
The school's newspaper is The Centaurian, which is part of the High School National Ad Network. CCHS also offers a variety of academic extracurricular activities such as speech and debate, math club, and mock trial.
- Kelvin Atkinson – Nevada State Assemblyman
- Derrick Deese - San Francisco 49ers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Rocky George – Suicidal Tendencies guitarist
- Joe Faust - Olympic high jumper, aviation publisher, renewable energy publisher
- Darrin Jackson of the Chicago Cubs 
- Carnell Lake of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Baltimore Ravens 
- Billy Parks of the San Diego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys, and Houston Oilers 
- Karl Paymah of the Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings, and San Francisco 49ers 
- Todd Steverson- Detroit Tigers, San Diego Padres, Oakland Athletics
- Robert Trujillo – Metallica bassist
- Cohen, Mike (17 November 2011). "Centaurs blank Normans, 43-0; visit top-seed Serra in playoffs". Culver City News. Retrieved 26 December 2011.
- Schools Culver City History.
- School Level Enrollment Reports – DataQuest; California Department of Education.
- 2005 California Distinguished High Schools Virtual Library; California Department of Education.
- "Rocky George: Going the Distance with Rocky." March 17, 2010. Guitar World. Accessed on June 23, 2010.
- Darrin Jackson Statistics – Baseball Reference.
- Carnell Lake Player Profile – NFL.com Website
- Billy Parks, WR at. Nfl.com (2012-01-01). Retrieved on 2012-04-23.
- Karl Paymah Biography – Denver Broncos Website