Cup Noodles is a brand of instant ramen noodle snack manufactured by Nissin, packaged in a foam food container, hard plastic or paper cup. Other brand names are used in specific countries, such as Cup Noodle in Japan.
In 1970, Nissin formed the subsidiary Nissin Foods (USA) Co. Inc, to sell instant noodles in the United States. Nissin recognized that the bowls traditionally used to package instant noodles in Asia were not common in the U.S, so they used the paper cup.
In 1971, they introduced instant ramen packaged in a foam cup. Originally, the product was known as Cup O' Noodles in the United States.
In 1978, Nissin Foods offers new Top Ramen and Cup Noodes(Cup O' Noodles renamed Cup Noodles in 1993) varieties, pioneering new paths in the rapidly growing instant ramen noodle category.
In 1998, Cup Noodles Hot Sauce Varieties introduced (Beef, Chicken, Shrimp)
Today, instant noodles in Japan are often sold in foam bowls, sometimes with plastic utensils. Foam bowls are inexpensive, disposable, light, and easy to hold, since they insulate heat well.
In popular culture
From 1996 to 2006, a 60-foot (18 m) Nissin Cup Noodle sign was installed in Times Square, New York City. It was located prominently near the top of the One Times Square building, the location of the Times Square Ball drop on New Year's Eve. The sign was the most recent example in a tradition of steaming signs in Times Square, which started with an A&P 8 O'Clock Coffee cup in 1933.
- Frozen noodles
- Instant noodles
- List of instant noodle brands
- Maruchan – manufacturer of instant noodles
- Pot Noodle
- Sapporo Ichiban – manufacturer of instant noodles
- Nissin | History
- Japanese Cup Noodle official website has the section "The Cupnoodle in the world" under the "Library", which lists Cup Noodles flavors all over the world.
- New York Architecture Images- Midtown- times square short history 1
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nissin Cup Noodle.|
- Cup Noodles and Instant Noodles Market in Japan
- Cup Noodles official website (U.S)
- Cup Noodle official website (Japanese)
- Science Channel's The Making Series: #47 Making of Cup Noodles (video in Japanese)
- Nissin documentary