Cupola House (Edenton, North Carolina)
|Location||408 S. Broad St., Edenton, North Carolina|
|Architectural style||Colonial, Georgian, Other|
|NRHP Reference #||70000889|
|Added to NRHP||April 15, 1970|
|Designated NHL||April 15, 1970|
The house is 2.5 stories and was originally situated on a very spacious lot extending to the Edenton Bay. The property was owned by a succession of merchants, including Richard Sanderson, a shipowner. Francis Corbin bought the lot in 1756 and built the current residence.
Set between two large brick chimneys, the house features wooden weatherboards and heavy shingles on its gabled roof. Two rooms surround a central passageway, which was an uncommon layout in colonial North Carolina but was not rare in other colonies. The unique aspect of the house is its combination of a cupola with an overhanging upper story. The cupola is octagon-shaped and covered in wood that has been cut to imitate stonework.
Inside, the house features elaborate finishing which denotes the "social hierarchy" of the rooms. The balustrade of the staircase in the central hallway features carved floral decorations and moldings, while the doors leading to the two main rooms extend up to the ceiling. The house includes ornate mantels and woodwork throughout.
The Cupola House is one of several sites of Historic Edenton. Other historic sites open for tour include the James Iredell House, Roanoke River Light, Barker House, Chowan County Courthouse and St. Paul's Episcopal Church.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2007-01-23.
- "Cupola House". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- Polly M. Rettig and Charles W. Snell (January 7, 1970), National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Cupola House (pdf), National Park Service and PDF (32 KB)
- Bishir, Catherine (2005). North Carolina Architecture. UNC Press. pp. 20–24.
- Cupola House Association
- Historic Edenton - arranges tours of Cupola House
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. NC-2, "Cupola House, 408 South Broad Street, Edenton, Chowan County, NC", 13 photos, 15 measured drawings, 5 data pages
|This article about a property in Chowan County, North Carolina on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This North Carolina museum-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|