A curb stomp, also called a "California smile" or making someone bite the curb is a form of assault in which a victim's mouth is forcefully placed on a curb and then stomped from behind, causing severe injuries and sometimes death. This practice has been used in hate crimes and other types of violent crimes.
- In 2003, Tacoma, Washington resident Randall Townsend was killed by two white power skinheads in a curb-stomping incident that has been described as a hate crime.
- On August 26, 2011, Dane Hall was curb stomped in a homophobic attack outside a gay bar in Salt Lake City, Utah. He lost six teeth and suffered a broken jaw in multiple places as a result of the attack.
- In 2013, curb stomping attacks were recorded during the Boston Red Sox victory parade.
- In the film American History X (1998), a white power skinhead curb stomps a black burglar who had tried to steal his truck.
- In the film Blitz (2011), a serial killer played by Aidan Gillen curb stomps a victim on the sidewalk.
- In the video game Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Ezio can curb stomp enemies in certain situations.
- The third-person shooter video game Gears of War features a graphic depiction of a curb stomp.
- In the video game Resident Evil 5, Chris Redfield can curb stomp certain majini when they are in a prone position and when certain other conditions are met.
- In the computer game Surgeon Simulator 2013 A&E Anniversary Edition, there is an achievement titled "No Need To Curb Stomp Him" obtained during a Teeth Transplant in an Ambulance.
- In the video game BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, the DLC character Yūki Terumi can execute multiple special moves, including curb stomping the opponent.
- The novel Omega Minor, by the Flemish author Paul Verhaeghen, describes neo-Nazis curb stomping Turkish gang members during a riot.
- In the animated TV show Family Guy, Meg curb stomps Peter in the episode "Dial Meg for Murder" as a parody of the aforementioned American History X
- In the TV series Gang Related, Javier Acosta uses a curb stomp to kill the Metas gang leader.
- In the TV series The Sopranos, Tony Soprano curb stomps Coco for making menacing sexual references to his daughter Meadow in season 6, episode 19, "The Second Coming".
- "More arrests in curb stomping death". CBC News. 2000-06-03. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "VolksFront". Gangland. November 28, 2014.
- Jake O'Donnell (2013-11-05). "Red Sox Fans Curb Stomp Each Other At Victory Parade Meant To Unify City". Sports Grid.
- "Tacoma murder revisited".
- Pat Reavy (2011-09-01). "Gay man severely beaten outside club says he was victim of hate crime". Deseret News.
- Matt Barone, Javy Rodriguez, Ross Scarano, Tara Aquino (2013-05-05). "50 Most Hard-To-Watch scenes in movie history". Complex Pop Culture.
- John Sellers (2009-07-27). "Curb-Stomp — An Oral History of the Grisly ‘American History X’ Scene". True Slant. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- "Curb Stomp". Giant Bomb. Retrieved 2014-05-04.