Curling at the 1924 Winter Olympics
at the I Olympic Winter Games
In February 2006, a few days before the start of the 2006 Winter Olympics, the International Olympic Committee ruled that the curling medals were part of the official Olympic programme in 1924, and not a demonstration event as many authoritative sources had previously claimed (although the IOC itself had never done so). This official confirmation was the culmination of an investigative campaign begun by the Glasgow-based newspaper The Herald, on behalf of the families of the eight Scots who won the first curling gold medals. The winning team was selected by the Royal Caledonian Curling Club, Perth, the mother club of curling.
A peculiarity of the competition is that Great Britain and Ireland's Major D. G. Astley played for Sweden when they overcame France in the play-off. The IOC records that he received a silver medal along with the Swedes, and also a gold medal, as part of the GB and I team. If the official IOC records are correct, then Astley is the only person to have received both a gold and a silver medal in the same Olympic event, and one of the few people to have won an Olympic medal for different nations.
|| Great Britain (GBR)
William K. Jackson
John T. S. Robertson-Aikman (captain) (alt.)
John McLeod (alt.)
William Brown (alt.)
D. G. Astley (alt.)
| Sweden (SWE)
Johan Petter Åhlén (skip)
D. G. Astley (in playoffs)
Carl Wilhelm Petersén (skip)
Erik O. Severin
Carl Axel V. Kronlund (alt.)
C. W. Petersen (alt.)
| France (FRA)
H. Aldebert (alt.)
R. Planque (alt.)
Note: R. Cousin of Great Britain, is listed in the Official Report as a "Non-Participant" and it is not known if he received a medal; however, Skip William Jackson of Great Britain is also listed in the Official Report as a "Non-Participant" and it is known that he did play and did receive a medal.
Round Robin Results 
All games were 18 ends in length.
Draw 1 
Monday, January 28, 1924; 10:00 AM
Draw 2 
Tuesday, January 29, 1924; 10:00 AM
Draw 3 
Wednesday, January 30, 1924; 10:00 AM
Silver Medal Playoff 
- The Herald - "Scotland Wins an Olympic Gold... 82 Years Later"
- "The Herald sweeps Britain to curling gold medal"
- BBC Sport - GB curlers awarded belated gold
- 1924 Olympic Curling Medals Count: CBC News Feb 8, 2006
- Results copied from Official Report
- Query for Medalists from the Official Site
- Sports Reference record of curling in the 1924 Games
- Team UK press release from 2006[dead link]
- The Winter Olympics: An Insider's Guide to the Legends, Lore and The Games by Ron C. Judd
- Curling, Etcetera: A Whole Bunch of Stuff About the Roaring Game by Bob Weeks