Currituck County Schools
|Currituck County Schools|
|Type and location|
|Location||Currituck County, North Carolina|
|NCES District ID||3701080|
|Students and staff|
|Teachers||249.93 (on FTE basis)|
|Staff||336.66 (on FTE basis)|
For the 2010–11 school year, Currituck County Schools had a total population of 3,979 students and 249.93 teachers on a (FTE) basis. This produced a student-teacher ratio of 1592:1. That same year, out of the student total, the gender ratio was 51% male to 49% female. The demographic group makeup was: White, 78%; Black, 5%; Hispanic, 4%; American Indian, 0%; and Asian/Pacific Islander, 0% (two or more races: 13%). For the same school year, 35.06% of the students received free and reduced-cost lunches.
The primary governing body of Currituck County Schools follows a council–manager government format with a five-member Board of Education appointing a Superintendent to run the day-to-day operations of the system. The school system resides in the North Carolina State Board of Education's First District.
Board of Education
The five members of the Board of Education generally meet on the second Monday of each month. The current members of the board are: Bill Dobney (Chair), Jackie Simmons (Vice Chair), Darnell Gaddis, Karen Etheridge, and Dwan Craft.
The current superintendent of the system is Allison Sholar. She began in August of 2011, replacing the former superintendent Meghan Doyle who resigned to take a position with the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Sholar had previously been superintendent for the Pender County Schools and formerly was a principal at Currituck County High School.
Currituck County Schools has ten schools ranging from pre-kindergarten to twelfth grade. Those ten schools are separated into three high schools, one middle schools, four elementary schools, and one pre-school.
- Currituck County Middle School (Barco)
- Moyock Middle School (Moyock)
- Central Elementary School (Barco)
- Jarvisburg Elementary School (Jarvisburg)
- Knotts Island Elementary School (Knotts Island)
- Moyock Elementary School (Moyock)
- Shawboro Elementary School (Shawboro)
- W. T. Griggs Elementary (Poplar Branch)
- Currituck County High is a 3A school in the Northeastern Coastal Conference.
- J. P. Knapp Early College does not have athletic teams.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Currituck County Schools". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- "Percentage of Students in Each Demographic Group". North Carolina’s School Report Cards. NC Department of Public Instruction. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- "2010–2011" (XLS). Free & Reduced Meals Application Data. NC Department of Public Instruction. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- "Education Districts". NC State Board of Education. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- "Board of Education Members". Currituck County Schools. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- Hampton, Jeff (August 21, 2011). "New Currituck superintendent ready to rejuvenate". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- "Currituck County Schools". NC School Report Cards. North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- "NCHSAA CONFERENCES 2012–13" (PDF). NCHSAA website. NCHSAA. Retrieved January 9, 2013.