|Owned by||Leicester Theatre Trust|
|Other names||Performing Arts Centre|
Curve is a theatre in Leicester, England, based in the Cultural quarter in Leicester City Centre. Before being named Curve, it was referred to as Leicester Performing Arts Centre. It is adjacent to the Leicester Athena conference and banqueting centre.
Curve, designed by architect Rafael Viñoly and engineered by Adams Kara Taylor is based in the centre of what the City Council calls the new "Cultural Quarter" on Rutland Street. It features two auditoria, one with 750 fixed seats while a 350 seat auditorium provides a smaller space with its own power flying system. When the 32 tonne steel walls separating the stage and the foyer are lifted, the stage is visible from street level. The glass façade encloses an open plan foyer with views onto the café, bars, backstage area, and across the stage.
The theatre was built by a partnership of Leicester City Council, Arts Council England (with funds from The National Lottery), East Midlands Development Agency, Leicester Shire Economic Partnership, with the project part-financed by the European Union (ERDF), in partnership with Leicester Theatre Trust and in association with Phoenix Arts Centre. The project was blighted by huge cost increases that more than doubled the initial estimates.
The theatre opened on 11 November 2008 with a celebratory opening show called Lift Off. This was followed by Simply Cinderella, which ran from 4 December 2008 (the day it was officially opened by the Queen) until 24 January 2009 – a new musical of the fairytale, written by Grant Olding and Toby Davies, and directed by dancer Adam Cooper.
- Simply Cinderella by Grant Olding and Toby Davis (2008–09)
- Peter Pan-The Musical by Julian Ronnie and Paul Miller (2009–10)
Leicester Theatre Trust
Curve is run by the Leicester Theatre Trust (LTT), an independent charitable organisation. LTT took over the operation of Curve in August 2008. The Leicester Theatre Trust formed in 1969, it is a regularly funded client of Arts Council England (ACE) and receives annual revenue funding from Leicester City Council.
From 1973 to 2007 the organisation programmed and operated the Haymarket Theatre.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Curve (theatre).|
- "PAC Name Unveiled", BBC Leicester, 29 January 2008
- "Leicester Shire Economic Partnership". Encyclopedia Article. UK R Knowledge. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Leicester Theatre Trust announces inaugural production at Curve", Arts Council England 30 May 2008
- "Report critical of theatre costs". BBC News Online.
- "Royal Opening for City's Theatre", BBC, 4 December 2008
- "Grant Olding". Broadway World. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Toby Davies". International Movie DataBase. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Curve Announces Christmas Show", BBC Leicester, 16 May 2008