Custom Built (album)
|Studio album by Bret Michaels|
|Released||July 6, 2010|
|Genre||Rock, country rock|
|Label||Poor Boy Records|
|Bret Michaels chronology|
|Singles from Custom Built|
Custom Built is the fourth studio album by Poison lead singer and reality television star Bret Michaels. It was released on July 6, 2010 and is Michaels' first studio album since 2005's Freedom of Sound, which produced his only charted single to date. Announced on Michaels' Facebook, due to his recovery period, the album had been moved to July 6, 2010.
The album is Michaels highest charting solo album to date peaking at #1 on both the Top Independent Albums and Top Hard Rock Albums chart and also charting at #4 on the Top Rock Albums and #14 on The Billboard 200.
Pre-Production of the album
The album features eight new tracks including four singles, The lead-off single from the album, "Nothing to Lose", features pop singer Miley Cyrus. A second single, "Lie to Me", was issued in April 2010, followed by a third single in May, "Wasted Time". A cover of Sublime's single "What I Got" was eventually released as the fourth single of the album  and features a music video which is a special tribute to his fans and was released on Thanksgiving.
The first track on the album, also a new song titled "Riding Against the Wind" is the theme song to the new Bret Michaels reality Docu-series Bret Michaels: Life As I Know It, the new series which is a follow up to the Rock of Love series will premiere in Fall 2010, following the album's release. Despite the song not being released as a single a music video was produced for "Riding Against the Wind" containing footage from Bret Michaels: Life As I Know It, which officially premieres on VH1 on Oct. 18, 2010. The music video was released on October 7, 2010 exclusively at Billboard's.
Also included is a solo version of the first single "Nothing to Lose" and remixed versions of "Driven" featuring the hot guitar work of Mike Himmel, and "Go That Far", which was the theme song to Michaels' Rock of Love series. The original versions of "Go That Far" and "Driven" featured on his last album release, the compilation, Rock My World in 2008. The remixed version of "Driven" was released as a digital only single in 2008, following the release of "Rock My World" and has never featured on a full music album until now.
Also included on the album are four bonus previously released tracks including the country music version of Poison's Billboard Hot 100 number-one single, "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" originally included on his country rock album Freedom of Sound.
The digital version of the album features two extra bonus tracks which are the explicit versions of "Lie to Me" and "What I Got".
- "Riding Against the Wind" (Bret Michaels: Life As I Know It Theme)
- "Lie to Me"
- "Nothing to Lose" (featuring Miley Cyrus) - 3:55
- "Wasted Time"
- "What I Got" (Bud Gaugh, Bradley Nowell, Half Pint, Eric Wilson)
- "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" (country version featuring Brad Arnold of 3 Doors Down, Chris Cagle, Mark Wills)
- "Go That Far (Club Mix)" (mixed by Jason Miller of Godhead)
- "Driven" (Rock Mix) (featuring Mike Himmel on guitar)
- "Open Road" (Originally from the album Freedom of Sound)
- "Rock' n My Country" (Originally from the album Freedom of Sound)
- "Nothing to Lose" (solo version)
- "I'd Die for You" (Originally from the album A Letter from Death Row)
- "Lie to Me" (Explicit) - Bonus track on digital album
- "What I Got" (Explicit) - Bonus track on digital album
|U.S. Billboard Top Hard Rock Albums||1|
|U.S. Billboard 200||14|
|U.S. Billboard Top Rock Albums||4|
|U.S. Billboard Top Independent Albums||1|
|Canadian Albums Chart||44|
|Nothing to Lose (featuring Miley Cyrus)||U.S. Billboard Top Rock Digital Songs||32|
|Wasted Time||U.S. Billboard Top Rock Digital Songs||100|
- "Custom Built > Overview". Allmusic. Retrieved July 19, 2010.
- "Bret Michaels TV appearance schedule and Custom Built release date". Facebook. May 24, 2010. Retrieved May 24, 2010.
- Funk, Luke (May 24, 2010). "Bret Michaels wins Celebrity Apprentice". myfoxny.com. Retrieved July 19, 2010.
- "Bret Michaels charts". Allmusic.
- Bhaduri, Ranjan (May 9, 2010). "Bret Michaels' "Wasted Time" Hits 100 Top Rock Singles Chart On iTunes". Thaindian News. Retrieved May 30, 2010.
- "Request 'What I Got' at ROCK radio". August 2010. Retrieved 2010.
- "Bret Michaels premieres holiday version of ‘What I Got’ music video".2010
- "Bret Michaels: Life As I Know It - Coming Soon To VH1". VH1. May 17, 2010. Retrieved July 19, 2010.
- "Video Premiere: Bret Michaels' "Riding Against The Wind"". 2010.
- "Custom Built digital album: bonus uncensored versions - Bret Michaels Web Site". July 8, 2010.
- "Chart Beat Bret Michaels". 2010. Retrieved 2010.