Cut Off, Louisiana
|Cut Off, Louisiana|
|Official name: Village of Cut Off|
|Elevation||7 ft (2.1 m)|
|Area||14.9 sq mi (38.6 km2)|
|- land||12.8 sq mi (33 km2)|
|- water||0.1 sq mi (0 km2), 0.67%|
|Density||381.7 / sq mi (147.4 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Cut Off (historically named La Coupe) is a census-designated place (CDP) on the Bayou Lafourche in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 5,635 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Houma–Bayou Cane–Thibodaux Metropolitan Statistical Area. Cut Off's ZIP code is 70345, the area code is 985 and local telephone prefixes are 325, 632 and 693.
Cut Off is located at (29.515201, -90.333839).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 14.9 square miles (39 km2), of which 14.8 square miles (38 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (0.74%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,635 people, 2,033 households, and 1,608 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 381.7 people per square mile (147.4/km²). There were 2,136 housing units at an average density of 144.7 per square mile (55.9/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 91.41% White, 1.12% African American, 3.78% Native American, 1.26% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.10% from other races, and 1.30% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.13% of the population.
There were 2,033 households out of which 39.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.0% were married couples living together, 8.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.9% were non-families. 18.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.76 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 27.3% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 30.5% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 11.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 96.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.1 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $38,077, and the median income for a family was $42,986. Males had a median income of $35,994 versus $19,225 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $16,353. About 7.3% of families and 7.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.6% of those under age 18 and 10.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Joe Barry was born and died in Cut Off.
- Vin Bruce, Cajun vocalist
- Trishelle Cannatella, former The Real World castmember
- Dick Guidry, former state representative from Lafourche Parish and owner of the disbanded Jet Drive-in Theater, a local landmark in Cut Off
- Bobby Hebert, former New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons quarterback
- Rita Benson LeBlanc, part-owner and heir apparent of the New Orleans Saints
- Jimmie Noone, jazz clarinet great
- Glen Pitre, writer and film director
- A particular section of the town is known as Côte Blanche, French for "White Coast" because of a statistically abnormal number of white painted homes that lined Bayou Lafourche for much of the early and mid 1900's.