Location in Humboldt County and the state of California
|• Total||1.294 sq mi (3.351 km2)|
|• Land||1.294 sq mi (3.351 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||200 ft (61 m)|
|• Density||2,400/sq mi (930/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|ZIP codes||95501, 95534|
|GNIS feature ID||1655945|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Cutten, California|
Cutten is a census-designated place (CDP) in Humboldt County, California, United States. Cutten is located 2.5 miles (4 km) south-southeast of downtown Eureka, at an elevation of 200 feet (61 m). The population was 3,108 at the 2010 census, up from 2,933 at the 2000 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2), all of it land.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Cutten had a population of 3,108. The population density was 2,401.8 people per square mile (927.4/km²). The racial makeup of Cutten was 2,628 (84.6%) White, 27 (0.9%) African American, 119 (3.8%) Native American, 80 (2.6%) Asian, 11 (0.4%) Pacific Islander, 78 (2.5%) from other races, and 165 (5.3%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 254 persons (8.2%).
The Census reported that 3,092 people (99.5% of the population) lived in households, 11 (0.4%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 5 (0.2%) were institutionalized.
There were 1,304 households, out of which 407 (31.2%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 574 (44.0%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 141 (10.8%) had a female householder with no husband present, 80 (6.1%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 94 (7.2%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 14 (1.1%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 390 households (29.9%) were made up of individuals and 153 (11.7%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37. There were 795 families (61.0% of all households); the average family size was 2.95.
The population was spread out with 718 people (23.1%) under the age of 18, 287 people (9.2%) aged 18 to 24, 798 people (25.7%) aged 25 to 44, 823 people (26.5%) aged 45 to 64, and 482 people (15.5%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37.9 years. For every 100 females there were 96.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.3 males.
There were 1,372 housing units at an average density of 1,060.3 per square mile (409.4/km²), of which 713 (54.7%) were owner-occupied, and 591 (45.3%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 2.3%; the rental vacancy rate was 3.4%. 1,762 people (56.7% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 1,330 people (42.8%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,933 people, 1,197 households, and 799 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 2,248.8 people per square mile (871.1/km²). There were 1,249 housing units at an average density of 957.6 per square mile (371.0/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 87.93% White, 0.75% Black or African American, 3.07% Native American, 1.50% Asian, 0.38% Pacific Islander, 2.11% from other races, and 4.26% from two or more races. 6.00% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,197 households out of which 30.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.0% were married couples living together, 12.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.2% were non-families. 24.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 2.85.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 23.4% under the age of 18, 10.0% from 18 to 24, 25.8% from 25 to 44, 27.4% from 45 to 64, and 13.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 89.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.4 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $35,786, and the median income for a family was $42,283. Males had a median income of $39,545 versus $21,574 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $19,317. About 8.3% of families and 13.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.7% of those under age 18 and 10.0% of those age 65 or over.
- U.S. Census
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 45-46. ISBN 9781884995149.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Cutten, California
- USPS ZIP Code lookup tool
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "California's 2nd Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.