Schindell in Calling All Curs.
March 4, 1907
Brooklyn, New York
|Died||August 24, 1948
Brooklyn-born Schindell was born Seymour Schindel in 1907. He was a former middleweight boxer with 19 fights from 1926–1928. He was later bitten by the acting bug, and found work as an extra at Columbia Studios, most notably appearing with comedy team the Three Stooges. A skilled stuntman, Schindell performed many pratfalls himself. His ability to deliver straight, tough dialogue ("youse mugs") made him a natural for parts as heavies. Shorts like Calling All Curs, Nutty But Nice and Fright Night gave Schindell a chance to bully the Stooges around to great effect. In Matri-Phony and Fright Night the ex-pugilist was knocked cold by the trio, only to have the Stooges (concealed behind a curtain) maneuver the unconscious Schindell like a puppet (when Fright Night was remade in 1955 as Fling in the Ring, this footage was reused). Schindell also memorably played Chizzilini, a parody of Benito Mussolini, in the short I'll Never Heil Again.
In addition to his work in Three Stooges shorts, Schindell also appeared briefly in It's a Wonderful Life as the bouncer at Nick's, and made numerous film appearances playing mainly blue collar roles such as a truck driver, a butcher and a policeman.
Military service and illness
Schindell enlisted in the United States Marine Corps during the 1920s and returned to active service for World War II. While on Guadalcanal, he developed a severe case of jungle rot, which eventually developed into terminal cancer. Knowing he was dying, Schindell worked constantly during his illness to assure his family would be financially secure after his death.
Schindell died on August 24, 1948, and was buried at Los Angeles National Cemetery, Los Angeles, California. His final film appearance was in 1948's Three Stooges film Crime on Their Hands; heavy makeup was used to mask Schindell's cancer-ridden face.
- Dizzy Doctors (1937)
- 3 Dumb Clucks (1937)
- Back to the Woods (1937)
- Cash and Carry (1937)
- Mutts to You (1938)
- Three Little Sew and Sews (1939)
- A Ducking They Did Go (1939)
- Calling All Curs (1939)
- Rockin' Thru the Rockies (1940)
- Nutty But Nice (1940)
- How High Is Up? (1940)
- From Nurse to Worse (1940)
- Boobs in Arms (1940)
- I'll Never Heil Again (1941)
- What's the Matador? (1942)
- Matri-Phony (1942)
- Uncivil War Birds (1946)
- Monkey Businessmen (1946)
- Fright Night (1947)
- Sing a Song of Six Pants (1947)
- All Gummed Up (1947)
- Shivering Sherlocks (1948)
- I'm a Monkey's Uncle (1948)
- Crime on Their Hands (1948)
- Rip, Sew and Stitch (1953) (stock footage)
- Fling in the Ring (1955) (stock footage)
- Of Cash and Hash (1955) (stock footage)
- Stone Age Romeos (1955) (stock footage)
- Hot Ice (1955) (stock footage)
- ThreeStooges.net: The Three Stooges Online Filmography
- Cy Schindel
- Okuda, Ted; Watz, Edward (1986). The Columbia Comedy Shorts. McFarland & Company, Inc., Publishers. p. 232. ISBN 0-89950-181-8.
- The Leatherneck, Volume 11 Marine Corps Institute, 1928