|Bitoma crenata (tribe Colydiini or Synchitini)
Imago from above
|About 140 genera in 6–9 tribes|
The Colydiinae are a subfamily of beetles, commonly known as cylindrical bark beetles. They have been treated historically as a family Colydiidae, but have recently been moved into the Zopheridae, where they constitute the bulk of the diversity of the newly expanded family, with about 140 genera worldwide. They are diverse for example in the Australian region, from where about 35 genera are known; in Europe, though, only 20 genera are found and many of these only with few species.
Systematics and taxonomy
Up to 9 tribes are accepted by various authors; others, however, synonymize some of these. Formerly, many additional tribes were recognized, but the Synchitini, for example, are today generally held to include a number of these tribes, and are even sometimes merged into the Colydiini.
The tribes are:
- Acropini[verification needed]
- Colydiini Erichson, 1845
- Orthocerini[verification needed] Blanchard, 1845[verification needed] (= Sarrotriini Billberg, 1820 (nom. rej.))
- Synchitini Erichson, 1845 (sometimes in Colydiini)
Delimitation of the Colydiinae against the other lineages of Zopheridae is usually unproblematic. The only significant case of dispute may be the Pycnomerini, which is a small lineage of Zopheridae incertae sedis and was formerly considered an independent family like the "Colydiidae". That treatment is almost certainly wrong, but whether these beetles should be placed in Zopheridae as an additional subfamily Pycnomerinae, or treated as tribe Pycnomerini – and if the latter, whether they are better included in the Colydiinae or the Zopherinae – is still disputed.
The genera Pycnomerodes, Pycnomerus and Rhizonium are sometimes included in the Colydiinae too. Other authors consider the latter incertae sedis among the Tenebrionoidea; for the former two, see above.
- List of beetle species recorded in Britain – superfamily Tenebrionoidea
- List of subgroups of the order Coleoptera
- Ślipiński & Lawrence (1999), Ivie (2002), ABRS (2010), FE (2011)
- Hawkeswood (1987): 38–39
- ABRS (2010), and see references in Savela (2004)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Colydiinae.|
- Australian Biological Resources Study (ABRS) (2010): Australian Faunal Directory – Colydiinae checklist. Version of 2011-OCT-20. Retrieved 2012-MAR-31.
- Fauna Europaea (FE) (2011): Colydiinae. Version 2.4, 2011-JAN-24. Retrieved 2012-MAR-31.
- Hawkeswood, Trevor (1987): Beetles of Australia. Angus and Robertson, North Ryde, New South Wales. ISBN 0-207-15352-3
- Ivie, Michael A. (2002): [Colydiinae]. In: Arnett, Ross H. Jr. & Thomas, Michael C. (eds.): American Beetles (Vol. 2: Polyphaga: Scarabaeoidea through Curculionoidea). CRC Press. ISBN 978-0-8493-0954-0
- Savela, Markku (2004): Markku Savela's Lepidoptera and some other life forms – Colydiinae. Version of 2004-DEC-06. Retrieved 2012-MAR-31.
- Ślipiński, S.A. & Lawrence, J.F. (1999): Phylogeny and classification of Zopheridae sensu novo (Coleoptera: Tenebrionoidea) with a review of the genera of Zopheridae (excluding Monommatini). Annales zoologici 49(1/"): 1–53. PDF abstract
- Atlas of cylindrical bark beetles (Colydiidae) of Russia - Zoological Institute of Russian Academy of Sciences