||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2011)|
Cylob (b. Chris Jeffs) is a British electronic musician and producer closely associated with Aphex Twin. He has produced seven albums, three compilations and a number of remixes. Previously signed to Rephlex records, Jeffs started his own digital label Cylob Industries in 2007. His most well-known tracks include "Rewind" and "Cut The Midrange, Drop The Bass".
His career evolved after he gave a demo tape to Aphex Twin at a gig in early 1993, who subsequently signed Jeffs to his Rephlex label a short time after. For a while the two were working and living in the same building.
Since his debut, he has released 13 singles and 5 albums on Rephlex, in addition to the EP "Spider Report" for Breakin' Records. Then followed the harsh dancefloor sonics of "Cylob's Latest Effort" and "Lobster Tracks" (with its Chris Cunningham-illustrated sleeve), pop pastiche with "Living In The 1980s", meditative bells and gongs on "Mood Bells" and the electronic funk and braindance of "CMS 3000" Volumes 1 & 2.
Although Cylob's music is predominantly instrumental, using a drum machine patch with sequencers, that evolved into a digital compositions which included "midi style sequencing".
A video to "Rewind" directed by Mark Adcock and featuring martial artist Chloe Bruce saw a fair amount of MTV airplay on its release in 1999.
In 2007 he launched his own label, Cylob Industries to release his material, while licensing it to various labels for hard-copy prints on CD and vinyl. In 2014, the compilation Cymply The Best was released, while much of the Rephlex material was re-released.
- Kinesthesia Volume 1 (Rephlex CAT 011 EP : 12/93)
- Kinesthesia Volume 2 (Rephlex CAT 014 EP : 7/95)
- Industrial Folk Songs (Rephlex CAT 015 EP : 8/95)
- Kinesthesia: Empathy Box Remixes (Rephlex CAT 022 EP : 1/96)
- Cylob's Latest Effort (Rephlex CAT 049 EP/CD : 97)
- Diof 97 (Rephlex CAT 044 EP/CD : 97)
- Are We Not Men Who Live and Die (Rephlex CYLOB 1 EP/CD : 98)
- Rewind! (Rephlex CAT 074 EP/CD : 2/99)
- Lobster Tracks (Rephlex CAT 076 EP/CD : 7/99)
- Living in the 1980s / Sex Machine (Rephlex CAT 075 EP / CD : 11/99)
- Cut The Midrange, Drop The Bass (Rephlex CAT 121 EP / CD : 11/2001)
- Cylobotnia (with Astrobotnia) (Rephlex CAT 144 EP / CD : 10/2003)
- Cylob Music System Volume 1 (Rephlex CAT 151 EP : 4 / 2004)
- Cylob Music System Volume 2 (Rephlex CAT 152 EP : 5 / 2004)
- Spider Report E.P. (Breakin' Records BRK45 : 5 / 2004)
- Private Life (With DMX Krew as Private Lives) (SoulJazz Records SJR 160 12 : 7/2007)
- Rock The Trojan fader (Cylob Industries CSR 001 M : 7 / 2007)
- Late In The Day (Cylob Industries CSR 005 M : 1 / 2008)
- Pepper Spray (Cylob Industries CSR 006 M : 3 / 2010)
- Kinesthesia: Empathy Box (Rephlex CAT 022 LP/CD : 4/96)
- Loops and Breaks (Rephlex CAT 032 LP : 8/96)
- Cylobian Sunset (Rephlex CAT 033 LP/CD : 8/96)
- Previously Unavailable on Compact Disc (Rephlex CAT 055 CD : 98)
- Mood Bells (Rephlex CAT 122 CD : 11/2001)
- Trojan Fader Style (Cylob Industries CSR 002 M : 7/2007)
- Bounds Green (Cylob Industries CSR 004 M & WeMe 012 : 9/2007)
- Formant Potaton (Cylob Industries CSR 003 M : 8/2007)
- Ambient News: Ambient News (Cylob Industries CSR 007 M : 8/2009)
- Bochum Welt : Scharlach Eingang : Rephlex CAT 030 EP : Phlughaven Alphard (Kinesthesia Mix) : 94
- Aphex Twin : Ventolin : Warp WAP 60 R : Ventolin (Cylob mix) : 95
- Immersion : Remixes Volume 3 : Swim : Envelope (Cylob remix) : 95
- DMX Krew : Nu Romantix : Rephlex CAT 061 LP/CD : I'm All Alone (Cylob's mix) : 98
- The Jones Machine : Rephlex CAT 083 EP/CD : You're The One (Part Two) - Cylob's mix / (I'm The) * Disco Dancing - Cylob's mix : 99
- Soulwax : Saturday (Hotline mix) : Play It Again Sam : 99
- The Mike Flowers Pops : 1999 : Lo Recordings : 99
- Christian Vogel : Whipaspank (Cylob mix) : Novamute : 2000
- Synclair (Cylob Mix) : Areal Records : 2007
- Listing of Cylob releases on Discogs.com, (accessed 9 January 2015).
- Wade, Alistair (12 July 2007). "Cylob: Cut the Middleman, Drop the Bass". spannered.org.
- Danluck, Meredith (14 January 2001). "Richard D. James interview". indexmagazine.com.
- Listing of Cylob Industries releases on the official website, (accessed ( January 2015).