|Members||Cymin Samawatie, Benedikt Jahnel, Ralf Schwarz, Ketan Bhatti|
Cyminology is a Jazz band based in Berlin, but with culturally and ethnically diverse influences. They primarily perform with Persian lyrics sung by Cymin Samawatie, who has Iranian and German heritage. The lyrics are frequently influenced by classical Persian poetry. The music of the quartet is a synthesis of contemporary jazz, classical and other elements. The band is probably most noteworthy for having gone on tour in the Middle East region in 2007 and the Caucasus region in 2008 as representatives of the Goethe-Institut and for having won the title Best Band on the National Level of the Creole Global Music Contest in 2012.
- Cymin Samawatie
- Singer, Composer, a daughter of Iranian immigrants to Germany was born in 1976. She studied at the Hochschule für Musik, Theater und Medien Hannover, Germany and at the Berlin University of the Arts. One highlight in her musical career has been being on stage with Bobby McFerrin in 2003. In 2010 she began composing for musicians of the Berlin Philharmonic.
- Benedikt Jahnel
- Piano, Composer, was born in 1980 in France and raised in southern Germany. He studied Jazz at the Berlin University of the Arts and City College of New York. Apart from working with Cyminology for many years, he has also performed with many other Jazz ensembles live, as well as on recordings.
- Ralf Schwarz
- Double bass, was born in 1971 in northern Germany and has collaborated with Cymin on various projects since 1993. He studied at the University of the Arts Bremen.
- Ketan Bhatti
- Percussion, was born in 1981 in New Delhi. He studied Jazz-Drums at the Berlin University of the Arts. He also composes music pieces for theater performances with his brother Vivan.
- Get strong (2002) (self-released)
- Per Se (2005) (Doublemoon)
- Bemun (2007) (Doublemoon)
- As Ney (2009) (ECM)
- Saburi (2011) (ECM)
- Cords, S. (2013, Aug 02). "Cyminology go for a global sound, free of cliches". Deutsche Welle http://dw.de/p/19J0T
- Universität der Künste Berlin. Retrieved 2013, Dec 05 from http://www.udk-berlin.de/sites/graduiertenschule/content/e92584/e92585/index_eng.html
- Cortis, J. (2008, Dec). "Portrait von Cyminology im Zusamenhang mit der Kaukasus-Tournee". Podcast of the Goethe Institut Issue 18.http://www.goethe.de/kue/mus/pod/wei/enindex.htm(a copy can be found here http://www.cyminology.de/09/dl/mp3/radio/cym_goethe_kaukasus_08.mp3
- (2012, Aug 15). "Creole Gewinner auf Tour". Creole. http://www.creole-weltmusik.de/de/contest/bundeswettbewerb/aktuelles/?news_id=6