Cynthia A. Brewer is an American professor of geography at the Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania, and book writer. She is notable for her work on map design, color theory in cartography, topographic map design, multi-scale mapping, generalization, atlas mapping, choropleth classification for maps in series. As such, she has been influential as a theorist for map representations and GIS professionals. Her web, print, and colorblind-friendly set of colors known as ColorBrewer have been reused by numerous projects. Her 2008 book (Brewer 2008) copy engineer elegant maps to enlighten best practices and encourage them (Kent 2013).
- Brewer, Cynthia A. (2005), Designing Better Maps: A Guide for GIS Users, Esri, p. 220, ISBN 978-1589480896
- Brewer, Cynthia A. (2008), Designed Maps: A Sourcebook for GIS Users, Esri, p. 184, ISBN 978-1589481602
- Harrower, Mark; Brewer, Cynthia A. (2003), "ColorBrewer.org: An Online Tool for Selecting Colour Schemes for Maps", The Cartographic Journal (The British Cartographic Society) 40 (1): 27–37, doi:10.1179/000870403235002042
- Brewer, Cynthia A. (2006), "Basic Mapping Principles for Visualizing Cancer Data Using Geographic Information Systems (GIS)", American Journal of Preventive Medicine (?) 30: S25–S36, doi:10.1016/j.amepre.2005.09.007
- Brewer, Cynthia A.; Hatchard, Geoffrey W.; Harrower, Mark A (2003), "ColorBrewer in Print: A Catalog of Color Schemes for Maps", Cartography and Geographic Information Science (Cartography and Geographic Information Society) 30 (1): 5–32 (28), doi:10.1559/152304003100010929
- Brewer, Cynthia A. (2003), "A Transition in Improving Maps: The ColorBrewer Example", Cartography and Geographic Information Science (Cartography and Geographic Information Society) 30 (2): 159–162(4), doi:10.1559/152304003100011126
- Brewer, Cynthia A. (1996), "Guidelines for Selecting Colors for Diverging Schemes on Maps", The Cartographic Journal (Maney Publishing) 33 (2): 79–86(8), doi:10.1179/caj.19220.127.116.11
- An Evaluation of Color Selections to Accommodate Map Users with Color-Vision Impairments
- Kent, Alexander J. (2013), Cartographer's Toolkit: Colors, Typography, Patterns by Gretchen N. Peterson (review) 48 (1), Cartographica: The International Journal for Geographic Information and Geovisualization, pp. 71–72, doi:10.1353/car.2013.0006
- personal page
- ColorBrewer2.org — for sequential, diverging, and qualitative color ramps. Web, print, and colorblind friendly.
- TypeBrewer — a tool to adjust typography on maps.
- Stephen D. Gardner, 2005, Evaluation of the ColorBrewer Color Schemes for Accommodation of Map Readers with Impaired Color Vision (6.1MB PDF)