|Chinese name||許美珍 (traditional)|
|Chinese name||许美珍 (simplified)|
|Pinyin||Xǔ Měizhēn (Mandarin)|
25 March 1974 |
Cynthia Koh (born 25 March 1974), also known as Xu Meizhen, is a Singaporean actress and contracted artiste under MediaCorp. She is best known for acting in many Chinese-language television dramas produced by MediaCorp Channel 8.
Early life and education
Born in 1974, Koh has one younger sister. Her father works in the Singapore Civil Defence Force while her mother is a housewife. Koh received her education at Saint Anthony's Canossian Secondary School.
While still enrolled in Singapore Broadcasting Corporation's (now MediaCorp) 10th Drama Artiste Course, Koh started acting at the TV station at the age of 18 in May 1992. Having acted in almost 46 dramas to date, Koh made her debut on stage in the critically acclaimed Men At Forty-Eight in 1997. Later, she won the Best Actress Award in Star Awards 1999 with her breakthrough performance in Stepping Out, in which she played a long-suffering woman fighting against her fate. This role earned her a nomination in the same category at the Asian Television Awards.
Koh was also part of the cast in three of MediaCorp TV Channel 8's long-running dramas. The 3 long-running dramas include: Holland V (Year 2003, 125 episodes), Portrait of Home (Year 2005, 100 episodes), Kinship (Year 2007, 86 episodes). Koh's role as Fu Baozhu (傅宝珠), a greedy and bossy woman in Portrait of Home granted her another Best Actress nomination in the Star Awards 2005. Unfortunately, she lost the award to veteran Huang Bi Ren.
In 2012, after not receiving an award for 15 years at the annual Star Awards, Koh made her comeback, winning her second Top 10 Most Popular Female Artiste Award.
Awards and nominations
- Best Actress Nomination in Star Awards 1996 for "Tofu Street"
- Top 10 Most Popular Female Artistes in 1997
- Best Actress Award in Star Awards 1999 for "Stepping Out"
- Best Actress Nomination in Star Awards 2005 for "Portrait of Home"
- Nomination for My Favourite Actress award, Star Awards 25th Anniversary Show
- Nomination for Screen Sweetheart award, Star Awards 25th Anniversary Show
- [Nomination] Best Supporting Actress for Happy Family, Star Awards 2011
- Top 10 Most Popular Female Artistes in 2012
Asian Television Awards
- Best Actress Nomination for Stepping Out in 1999
- Year 1999 联合早报 风云人物 - 电视：许美珍 Cynthia Koh (Organised by Lian He Zao Bao)
- 爱情乒乓球 The Dating Game
- 戏剧人生Terms Of Endearment
- 爱在女儿乡 Love Is In The Air
- 未了缘 Endless Love
- 斗气姐妹 The Wilful Siblings
- 年年有鱼 Happy Reunion
- 生命擂台 Those Were The Days
- 勇者无惧 The Challenger - 潘静仪
- 爱情定金 Love Dowry
- 七月幽情 Romance In The Seventh Month
- 追心一族 Dream Hunters
- 展翅高飞 Over The Horizons
- 豆腐街 Tofu Street - 梁四妹
- 大伯公传奇 Legend Of Da Bo Gong
- 妙师爷三斗毒太监 Royal Battle Of Wit
- 第三类剧场II Tales Of The Third Kind II
- 老板放轻松 Give Me A Break
- 狮城奇案之蝶印Crimes And Tribulations - Trailing The Bridegroom
- 铁血男儿 Sword and Honour
- 珍珠街坊 Around People's Park
- 石叻坡传说 Myths & Legends Of Singapore
- 甜甜的季节 Season Of Love - 许丽雯
- 出路 Stepping Out - 红豆
- 琼园咖啡香 Hainan Kopi Tales - 黄六月
- Growing Up VI 成长岁月VI
- @Moulmein High 上课一派 I
- 星锁 Looking For Stars - 蔡菲菲
- 2000 A.D. (movie)
- 阿灿正传 Through Thick and Thin
- @Moulmein High II 上课一派 II
- 大酒店 The Hotel
- 天使的诱惑 The Wing of Desire - 李婉萍
- @Moulmein High III 上课一派 III
- 荷兰村 Holland V - 莫燕燕
- 辣兄辣妹 Spice Siblings - 丁珍珠
- 家财万贯 The Ties that Bind - 徐敏敏
- 同心圆I Portrait of Home I - 傅宝珠
- 同心圆II Portrait of Home II - 傅宝珠
- 法庭俏佳人 Family Matters - 关洁儿
- 欢乐满屋 House Of Joy - 郑双喜
- 手足I Kinship I - 郑金莎
- 手足II Kinship II - 郑金莎
- 有你终身美丽 Her Many Faces - 郑嘉雯
- 小娘惹 The Little Nyonya - 秀娟
- 书包太重 My School Daze - 姚贵娟
- 双子星 The Ultimatum - 阿宝
- 企鹅爸爸 Daddy at Home - 陈美惠
- 过好年 Happy Family - 姜美鹅
- 五福到 The Best Things in Life - 家欣
- 三个女人一个宝 Precious Babes - 王凯蒂 katie ong
- 查某人 Mrs P.I. - 云飞雪
- 麻婆斗妇 The In-Laws - 严秋桦
- 星洲之夜 A Song To Remember - 蛇嫂
- 那一年我们淋着雨 - 露露
- 注定 Show hand - 吴美芳
- 96' C 咖啡 - Ann
- 小小传奇 - monica
- "Cynthia Koh (in Chinese)". BaiDuPedia. Retrieved 2007-07-03.
- Suzanne Sng (12 September 1999). "I'm just 30% Miss Right". The Straits Times. p. SP20.
- Hong Xinyi (11 July 2004). "Star track". The Sunday Times.
- Guan Libing (31 October 1993). "Enjoy it while it lasts". The Straits Times. p. SP9.
- Rachel Lim (16 July 2006). "Mandarin high". The Sunday Times.
- "Cynthia Koh". Fly Entertainment. Archived from the original on 2007-04-10. Retrieved 2007-04-30.
- "Stepping Out sweeps 5 awards". The Straits Times. 20 December 1999. p. 4.
- Tee Hun Ching (23 December 1999). "I was in shock". The Straits Times. p. L3.
- "Cynthia Koh delays ovarian cyst op to complete filming". AsiaOne. 27 February 2011.