Cypress High School
|Cypress High School|
|9801 Valley View Street
Cypress, California, Orange County, 90630
|School type||Public, High School|
|Motto||"Keep it simple"|
|School district||Anaheim Union HS District|
|NCES District ID||0602630|
|Superintendent||Elizabeth I. Novack|
|NCES School ID||060263000172|
|Assistant principals||Joe Saldana
|Teaching staff||93 teachers|
|Student to teacher ratio||26.03|
|Campus type||Large Suburban|
|Color(s)||Navy Blue, Orange, White
|Fight song||Across the Field|
|Athletics conference||CIF Southern Section|
|Rival||Kennedy High School|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Newspaper||The Centurion Spotlight|
|Feeder schools||Lexington Junior High|
|The marquee in front of the school|
Cypress High School is a public, four-year high school in the city of Cypress, California, one of eight comprehensive high schools in the Anaheim Union High School District (AUHSD). Cypress High School is ranked one of the top schools in California. It is an academically distinguished school. It is said to be "One of the best schools in America." The school receives most of its students from the junior high across town, Lexington Junior High School, also part of the AUHSD. Cypress was first established in 1973, and honored as a California Distinguished School in 2007. The California Distinguished Schools program honors some of California's most exemplary and inspiring public schools. Schools selected for the Distinguished School Award demonstrate significant gains in narrowing the achievement gap. Cypress High School also received a Greatschool rating of 10 out of 10 based on the test scores of the students.
Cypress's sports teams compete in the Empire League of the CIF Southern Section. The school mascot is the centurion of Roman fame. The school colors are navy blue, orange, and white. In 2007, baseball team was ranked in the Top 25 for all Prep teams nationwide.
The following sports are offered at Cypress:
CIF Southern Section championships
- Boys Golf 2005
- Baseball: 2005 and 2013 :11
- Football: 2007:82
- Softball: 1983:127, 1987:127, 1992:128,
- Girls Volleyball: 2007:301
- Varsity Song: USA National Champions 2011
The Cypress High School Marching Band, the Imperial Brigade, will perform in the 2015 Rose Parade in Pasadena, California on New Year's Day. 2015 will also mark the first appearance of Cypress High School in the Rose Parade and will be the first reappearance of an AUHSD school in over thirty years.
- Scott Aukerman, American writer, actor, comedian, television personality, director, producer, and podcast host
- Marko Cavka, former professional American football offensive tackle
- Lanny Cordola, American guitarist, songwriter, and producer
- Creep Creepersin, American film director, musician, screenwriter, producer, actor, and author
- Justin Lin, American Director & Producer
- Clarence Moore, American football wide receiver who played in the National Football League; he is currently a free agent
- Scott Moore, an American professional baseball infielder for the Houston Astros of Major League Baseball
- Josh Vitters, third pick in the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft (Chicago Cubs)
- Christopher Dorner, former LAPD officer accused of killing four people, including two police officers, in a week-long killing spree
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Anaheim Union High". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Aug 4, 2012.
- "Anaheim Union High School District Organizational Chart" (PDF). Anaheim Union High School District. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Superintendents's Message". Anaheim Union High School District. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "SAT Code Search". The College Board. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Cypress High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved Aug 4, 2012.
- "Administrative Team". Cypress High School. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Cypress High School Overview". Best High Schools. U.S.News & World Report. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Directory of Schools: 2011-2012" (PDF). WASC Accrediting Commission for Schools. July 2011. p. 35. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- Josh Vitters/Cypress HS 2007 champions[dead link]
- Simmons, Thom (January 2012). "CIF-Southern Section All Sports Press Guide and Record Book" (PDF). California Interscholastic Federation. Archived from the original on 4 August 2012.
- Shelley Henderson, Cypress High School band qualifies for 2015 Rose Parade, Orange County Breeze, September 30, 2013
- "NFL Player Profile - Marko Cavka". NFL.com. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- White, Lonnie (26 April 2004). "A Second Day Run on Bruins". Los Angelos Times. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Newport Harbor Lineman Commits to USC". Los Angelos Times. 19 January 2000. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- Beck, Jason (4 June 2002). "Tigers select Moore with first pick". MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- Rohwer, Bob (4 June 2002). "Here and Now". Los Angelos Times. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Cubs select third baseman Josh Vitters with third pick of First-Year Player Draft". Chicago Cubs. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "2007 Draft Tracker". MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Retrieved 5 August 2012.