Cypress Lakes High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
|Cypress Lakes High School|
|5750 Greenhouse Rd
Katy, TX 77449
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District|
|Enrollment||3534 (as of 2013)|
|Color(s)||Red & Silver|
|Athletics conference||University Interscholastic League|
|Website||Cypress Lakes High School website|
Cypress Lakes High School is a secondary school located in Cypress, which is an unincorporated place in Harris County, Texas, near Houston. Cypress Lakes, originally named Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District High School #10, is part of the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District and serves students in grades 9-12. It was built along with Cypress Ranch High School to relieve the populations of Cy-Fair High School, Cy-Falls High School, Langham Creek High School, and Cypress Springs High School.
The district selected PBK Architects as the designer of the new school, which uses similar blueprints to the existing Cypress Ridge, Cypress Springs, and Cypress Woods schools, following the design of a mall, that being of one main hallway becoming split into sub-hallways into the rooms. Originally the school was scheduled to open in fall 2009. The rapid growth in CFISD prompted the district to schedule the opening of the school in fall 2008. The School's first (and current) Principal, Sarah Harty, was a former Principal of Cypress Springs High School.
For the 2012-13 school year:
- African American: 21.6%
- Hispanic: 55.3%
- White: 13.8%
- American Indian: 0.2%
- Asian: 6.7%
- Pacific Islander: 0.1%
- Two or More Races: 2.4%
- Economically Disadvantaged: 62.5%
Being in an area highly habitated by Hispanics, more than half of the students are of Hispanic descendency; However, most of the Hispanic population at the school are second or third generation Hispanics, and their first language is English rather than Spanish.
Clubs and Organizations
Cypress Lakes High School houses many different Extracurricular Clubs and Organizations which are open for students to join near the beginning of the school year or for some clubs, every beginning of any semester. All 57 clubs for the 2013-2014 year include:
Schools that feed into Cypress Lakes include:
- Elementary schools: M. Robinson, Sheridan, Wilson, Hemmenway (partial), Lieder (partial), McFee (partial), Wilson (partial)
- Middle schools: Thornton (partial), Watkins (partial)
- "High School Attendance Zones (9-11) 2008-2009." Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District. Accessed September 12, 2008.
- "Elementary School Attendance Zones 2008-2009." Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District. Accessed September 12, 2008.
- "Middle School Attendance Zones 2008-2009." Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District. Accessed September 12, 2008.