Cypress Systems, Inc. is a biotech company headquartered in Madera, California and is best known for its research, in collaboration with the National Cancer Institute (NCI), regarding the use of selenium supplementation for the prevention of a variety of cancers. Cypress Systems, Inc. also manufactures selenium, zinc, and chromium for the nutraceutical industry.
In 1983, the now-deceased Dr. Larry C. Clark conducted a Nutritional Prevention of Cancer (NPC) study. This historic trial claimed that selenium supplementation prevented a variety of cancers, a claim which has not been validated by later enquiry, as there is no good evidence selenium supplementation helps prevent cancer.
High profile executive
The COO of Cypress is Mark Whitacre, who is the highest level executive of a Fortune 500 company in US history to turn whistleblower. He was convicted and spent 81⁄2 years in federal prison for embezzling $9.5 million. This was discovered while he was acting as an FBI informant against ADM for international price fixing schemes. Cypress' management, along with several FBI agents involved with Whitacre's case, are lobbying for a presidential pardon for Whitacre, and the head of the FBI's investigation into ADM went public calling Whitacre a national hero.
Coverage in the news media
- England, Scot (2009-10-29), "FBI declares Whitacre a national hero", Decatur WAND News 17, retrieved 2010-02-22
- Ackerman, Ruthie (2008-03-27), "Whitacre's Star Rises Again", Forbes, retrieved 2010-02-22
- Cain, Tim (2008-04-06), "Behind the inside man: Mark Whitacre, talks about 'The Informant', his time in prison and moving forward", Decatur Herald and Review, retrieved 2010-02-22
- Muirhead, Sarah (2008-06-02), "Whitacre paid ultimate price", Feedstuffs Magazine: 1, 42, 43
- Effects of selenium supplementation for cancer pre...[JAMA. 1996] - PubMed Result
- Dennert G, Zwahlen M, Brinkman M, Vinceti M, Zeegers MP, Horneber M (2011). "Selenium for preventing cancer". Cochrane Database Syst Rev (5): CD005195. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD005195.pub2. PMC 3692366. PMID 21563143.
|This California-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|