|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
|Posthumous style||not applicable|
Archbishop Cyril Vasiľ, S.J., (born 10 April 1965) is a Slovak Jesuit priest, professor and Rector of the Pontifical Oriental Institute. He was appointed Secretary of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches (7 May 2009) and ordained bishop of the (titular) see of Ptolemais in Libya (14 June 2009).
Vasiľ was born in Košice, Slovakia. From 1982 to 1987 he attended the Faculty of Theology of Cyril and Methodius in Bratislava. He was ordained priest for the Byzantine Catholic Church in 1987. In 1989 he obtained the licentiate in canon law at the Pontifical Oriental Institute in Rome.
In 2002 he was elected Dean of the Faculty of Eastern Canon Law at the Pontifical Oriental Institute and pro-rector, and in May 2007 rector, the first member of the Byzantine Catholic Church to hold that post.
He was a Consultor of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerants. He was appointed an expert to the assembly of the General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops on the Eucharist that was held in 2005. He was also a professor in the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome, the Theological Faculty of the University of Bratislava and the University of Trnava. In 2003 he was appointed Spiritual Director of the Union Internationale des Guides et Scouts d′Europe. He served as Spiritual Director of this traditional faith-based Scouting organization until 2007.
In addition to Slovak, he knows Latin, Italian, English, Russian, Ukrainian, French, German, Polish, Spanish, Greek and Old Church Slavonic.
On 7 May 2009, Pope Benedict XVI appointed him Titular Archbishop of Ptolemais in Libya and Secretary of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, a department of the Roman Curia headed by Cardinal Leonardo Sandri. He succeeded Antonio Maria Vegliò, who on 28 February 2009 had become President of the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerants.
Antonio Maria Vegliò
|Secretary of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches
7 May 2009–incumbent
- Jesuit named to Congregation for Eastern Churches
- Press Office of the Holy See
- "Rom-Neuer Sekretär der Ostkirchen-Kongregation" (in German). www.jesuiten.ch. 2009-05-08. Retrieved 2009-11-04.
- "J. E. Mons. CYRIL VASIĽ SJ arcibiskup, sekretár Kongregácie pre východné cirkvi titulárny arcibiskup tolemaidský" (in Slovak language). 2009-05-13. Retrieved 2009-11-04.
- "J. E. Mons. Cyril Vasiľ SJ" (in Slovak language). Official Website of the Slovakian Catholic Church. Retrieved 2009-11-04.
- "Novým sekretárom Kongregácie pre východné cirkvi je P. Cyril Vasiľ SJ" (in Slovak language). Radio Vatican. 2009-05-07. Retrieved 2009-11-06.
- "Medzinárodná skautská akcia Euromoot 2007" (in Slovak language). Tlacova kancelária konferencie biskupov slovenska. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- "Boy scouts are a hundred years old!". ciNews The Webportal for Christians. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- "Le scoutisme a 100 ans : une alternative moderne pour la génération de la « PlayStation »" (in French). Catholique.org. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- Günther Walter (2009). "Kurat der UIGSE zum Erzbischof ernannt". Pfadfinder Mariens (in German) (Katholische Pfadfinderschaft Europas). 3/2009: 6–7.
- Martin Wolters. "Die Apostolische Nachfolge-BISCHOFSERNENNUNGEN UND -RÜCKTRITTE IM JAHR 2009 UNTER BENEDIKT XVI." (in German). Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- Michala Hospodára. "Životopis a niekoľko dejstiev života nového vladyku Cyrila od o." (in Slovak language). Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- Press Office of the Holy See