Cyril the Swan
Cyril was voted Best Mascot by readers of the BBC's Match of the Day magazine. His antics have got him into trouble with the police on several occasions (mainly for fighting with other mascots and stewards), and he has been accused of bringing the game into disrepute.
Highlights of his troublesome antics include removing the head of Millwall mascot Zampa the Lion, and drop-kicking it along the ground. On a Dutch TV documentary, when asked what he said to Zampa he replied "Don't fuck with the Swans". The Swan was fined £1000 for the incident
Adrian Nielsen of Clubmascots created Cybil the Swan who married Cyril at the Vetch field on the 2nd April 2005,which led to Clubmascots producing a range of soft toys and merchandise in time for the move from the Vetch to the new Liberty Stadium; since then a full range of sports merchandise has been available for sale through the Swans shop.
- "Dancing swan in hot water". BBC News. 23 April 1999.
- "Dancing swan has wings clipped". BBC News. 23 April 1999.
- Yates, Charles (5 October 2001). "Cyril the Swan is nicked". London: thesun.co.uk.
- "Feathers fly between mascots". BBC Sport. 11 December 2003.
- "Cyril the Swan turns to acting". BBC News. 7 July 1999.
- "Cyril Doll". Swansea City AFC.
|This article about a sports, promotional, or other mascot is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|