Cyrus Pallonji Mistry
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
|Born||4 July 1968|
|Alma mater||Imperial College London
London Business School
|Occupation||Chairman of Tata Group|
Patsy Perin Dubash
Cyrus Pallonji Mistry (born 4 July 1968) is an Irish businessman who became chairman of Tata Group, an Indian business conglomerate, on 28 December 2012. He is the sixth chairman of the group and the second not to be named Tata, after Nowroji Saklatwala. The Economist has described him as "the most important industrialist" in both India and Britain.
Early life and education
Mistry studied at the Cathedral & John Connon School in Mumbai. He graduated from the Imperial College, London with a BEng in civil engineering and holds a Master of Science in management from the London Business School. He is a fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
Cyrus Mistry is the youngest son of Pallonji Mistry, an Irish-Parsi construction tycoon. Mistry's grandfather first bought shares in Tata Sons in the 1930s, a stake that, as of November 2011[update], stood at 18.5 percent, which is in the hands of Mistry's father, the largest single shareholder in a firm mostly controlled by trusts. He has an elder brother Shapoor Mistry who is married to Behroze Sethna, the daughter of lawyer Rusi Sethna. Cyrus has two sisters: Laila and Aloo. His sister, Aloo, is married to Noel Tata, the half-brother of Ratan Tata. Laila is married to Rustom Jehangir. 
Mistry considers himself to be of Irish nationality because although his father is Indian-born, his mother is Irish.
Mistry has been managing director of Shapoorji Pallonji & Company, which is part of the Shapoorji Pallonji Group. He joined the board of Tata Sons on 1 September 2006, a year after his father retired from it. He served as a Director of Tata Elxsi Limited, from 24 September 1990 to 26 October 2009 and was a Director of Tata Power Co. Ltd until 18 September 2006.
In 2012, Mistry was appointed as the chairman of Tata Sons. In addition, he is also chairman of all major Tata companies including Tata Industries, Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Tata Consultancy Services, Tata Power, Tata Teleservices, Indian Hotels, Tata Global Beverages and Tata Chemicals.
- Zachariah, Reeba; Singh, Namrata (24 Nov 2011). "Cyrus Mistry: Avid golfer and foodie, avoids cocktail circuit". Times of India. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- "Cyrus P Mistry to take over from Ratan Tata as Chairman of Tata Group in December 2012". Economic Times. 23 November 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- "Cyrus Mistry takes over the position of chairman for Tata Sons in December 2012". 26 November 2011.
- "Cyrus Mistry, a Tata in all but name". Reuters (CNBC-TV18). 23 Nov 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21586829-two-countries-have-close-financial-ties-trade-between-them-feeble-odd-couple Britain and India: The odd couple
- Munroe, Tony (23 Nov 2011). "Global search for Tata chairman ends close to home". Reuters. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- "Cyrus P Mistry: Tata Sons' deputy chairman a reticent man with strategic vision, humility". Economic Times. 24 November 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- Agarwal, Vibhuti (23 November 2011). "Who is Cyrus Mistry?". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- "Who is Cyrus Mistry?". IBN Live. 23 November 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- "Who is Cyrus Mistry?". NDTV. 23 November 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- "New Tata leader must be his own man, insists departing tycoon"". The Daily Telegraph (London). 29 December 2012. p. 31.